What's new

Looking for a "warm" sounding receiver (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
did you know the golden tongues, in a blind test couldn't distinguish Labatt's from Molson?

In any event, I think the beer seques are good and even if we disagree about beers, after a few, who really cares? Now do you think beer should be served with chicken wings?

DanaA

Screenwriter
Finally, thank you Chu. You don't know how long I've been waiting for you to do my kind of post again.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
And one for Jack, since he expressed in beers from asia...

which of course, needs to be served by someone in the proper attire don't you think?

DanaA

Screenwriter
OMG!!!

That my friend is the finest post you, or anyone, has ever made at HTF or anywhere!!!

referring to the beer ad, of course...:)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Chu that is infact the best post ever on HTF. You made my tube go from triode to ultralinear mode.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Or the Fisher equipment. :D

James: I was in your neck of the woods last week. Had the "old fashioned" pie at Chefs of NY on Larkedale. Pretty damn fine pizza.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Actually all pizza would taste the same if the oven temperatures were 'level matched'. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
My favorite pizza is at Spumoni Gardens over on Avenue X in Brooklyn.

Yogi, I did that for Jack. The Emerson could've been modified with Auricaps and Cardas Rhodium Connectors. Hey, my first set of speakers was from Fisher!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My Goodmans-Elite G-44s couldn't have been much better, but they sure were a leap for me at the time!

Favorite pizza at the moment, and I challenge it as the only really decent pie available in the greater Los Angeles area: Albano's New York Style on Melrose Avenue, within walking distance of my house. It really is in the New York idiom, and it must be eaten fresh. Only one size, and it's too much for just one person. The perfect balance of cheese and sauce. It tastes like a pizza, which is rare in L.A.

Before my KLH semi-serious stereo (in the '60s/'70s it was considered a cool thing to have), I destroyed vinyl with an Admiral "portable stereo" that folded together (so did the KLH, but it was built) — I would estimate the "tonearm" on that thing tracked in ounces, not grams.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Hey, my first set of speakers was from Fisher!
As was my first "rack stereo." Fisher stereo amp, Fisher receiver, Fisher tape deck, Fisher turntable, and those big, bad-boy Fisher floorstanding speakers. Even added one of their first CD players, circa 1987-88. Ah, memories!

We may need a pizza and beer section of HTF... :)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
Since we're doing firsts, my receiver was HH Scott, turntable a Pioneer PL-10 with a Stanton 681 cartridge, and speakers were DIY with RadioShack 10" woof and horn tweeter with a single capacitor crossover.

I'm not familiar with Brooklyn pizza, but my fave on LI is Umberto's of New Hyde Park. No one makes better Sicilian.

Patrick Ford

Auditioning
Okay, since we're discussing firsts to keep the beer discussion legitimate in this forum:

My firsts (1969- sophmore in college)were a Pioneer receiver, Dual 1219 turntable, AR-2ax speakers. Boy I loved that set-up!

Don't know much about beer- never developed a taste for it. But I appreciate you letting me post anyway.:D

Hey , I just thought- for those of you in the Big Apple: Is Mama Leone's still around?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My sister still has my old 1970 Kenwood KR-77 receiver, packed away somewhere at her place. The thing was still running as of the late 1980s.

I am going to order an 18-inch pie from Albano's tonight, and screen my copy of The Thing From Another World, starring James Arness as the lethal alien carrot.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
I wish i could taste new york pizza, but all i got is ohio pizza:frowning: ...i do have some good local beers from great lakes brewery and western reserve brewery...mmm Dortmunder and Bass (yeah that's right bass ale)...i get great bass from my receiver (i.e. the liquor store):D

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Is Mama Leone's still around?
Hadn't thought about this in a while. I don't think so (Mama L's and Luchow's were annointed New York's "most missed" restaurants).

The venerable Patsy's, however, is definitely still around. This was "Sinatra's favorite restaurant" (I'm sure other spots make that claim), and every year on his birthday, they serve his favorite dessert for free, I think (no idea what the dessert is). Like other NYC eating institutions, it's more of a mini-money-making-empire than a restaurant nowadays (catalogs, websites, mailorder, etc).

I've never eaten there, so I can't comment on the food.

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
ok this is probably starting up a discussion that nobody wants to hear hahah, but... i'll have to disagree with you chu.

i don't think that capacitors or such have an audible effect directly on the sound of an amplifier, but there are things that do.

output impedance: if the amplifier has a high output impedance (low damping factor, as many budget ones do) the sound will be muddy at certain frequency points, and in general it will have less control then that of an amp with a better df.

heat sink: essentially all heat sinks work the same, to dissipate heat to keep the transistors below a specific heat. however, the higher the temperature is for the transistor the less ability it has. so the more efficiently the heat sink dissipates heat, the more properly your amplifier will work.

i'm not going to get into things such as power supply, because i can't really hear an audible difference between 1 db and 3 db dhr.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
the capacitors have their own sound topic, which was off-track from the original post, is one that needs greater elaboration before one can make a legitimate comment on it. that's something that no one here clearly defined.

let's keep this discussion on beer, pizza, wings, and those lovely ladies who serve them, that is unless you go to Aunt Brunhilda's :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks