What's new

Looking for a "warm" sounding receiver (1 Viewer)

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I think I've brought that point up before. Seems like when the arguments start about whether or not receivers sound the same or have cetain sonic signatures everyone forgets about the pre-amp section and starts philosophizing about amps.

Nick V

Second Unit
How about living with a Marantz in your room and then living with a Yamaha in your room with the same speakers at a whole bunch of different levels. There is NO WAY you can tell me that they sound the same.

I don't think there's a HUGE difference in the sound of the amps, but I believe that their pre-amp sections sound quite different.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Patrick,

I would really recommend the forthcoming Denon 1804 which should be available in a few weeks. I owned a 1802 for two years and it was the best receiver I ever had. I now have a NAD T762, but I don't find the NAD to be as user friendly as the Denon yet, and the NAD is glitchy. You will probably be able to get the 1802 from an authorized dealer for around $425.00. You should audition the others mentioned as well, but I don't have experience with any of those.

Reg

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
So let your ears be the final judge and don't base your purchases on any opinion, review or scientific experiment by some one else who doesn't have your ears. Only trust people who have your ears and that would be you and only you.
Amen...

Kevitra: for "source," I was referring to the software/recording and the transport/decoder/turntable cartridge/etc. I think that my #4 and #5, "source" and "processing", could be reversed in order without a lot of quibbling from me.

Yogi: OK, amps affect the "sound" more than the phases of the moon, but definitely less than the Coriolis [sp?] effect. :D

At the end of the day, you gotta go with what your ears/brain tell you... :)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Capacitor sound isn't so much capacitor sound I think as it has to do with various performance characteristics of capacitors. Whether they're lossy, have non-linear characteristics that haven't been compensated for given where they've been placed, and other well-known electrical characteristics apart from simply capacitance are matters for consideration. Considerations that are 'perhaps' best left to those who know how to design circuits.
Thanks Chu, for seeing what I mean. Of course no single component affects sound just due to its inherent properties but due to its complex interaction with the rest of the circuit. So we both agree that the designer has certain room to play with when designing audio circuits, in choosing the design and the constituent components in order to get a certain type of sound.

Can we now agree that German beers are the best:laugh:.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Ummmmmm...no. Too much hair in the beer from the frauleins :)

One day we shall talk in greater detail regarding capacitors, but not now :)

Patrick Ford

Auditioning
Well thanks, everyone for a lively exchange of opinions! (they're like elbows, everyone has a couple!:D ) I really appreciate your experience and points of view. I will, as I said, do more background study and develop my list of feature/spec criteria so I can narrow the field down a bit before I go listen to anything. I also agree that the "best" way to evaluate is to hear the "system" in my own room which will have to wait awhile until I move in (retirement place in Naples, FL.) and I can convince the wife that: "Yes, Honey, we really do need to update our stereo." :)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
as long as its microbrew and not out of a bottle, it'll merit my tasting it for sure!

Best of luck in narrowing down the choices Patrick and a most happy, healthy, and long-lived retirement to you :)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Chu, I was thinking about Peroni and other Italian bottled beers. :frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
German beer may very well be the best and warmest-sounding, but I still find myself returning to Japanese and Mexican brews over and over. And I've been in that mode for the better part of the past decade.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Home Theater Forum unavoidable event #1: Any discussion involving amplifiers will eventually evolve into a discussion of beer and, at times, Chu posting one of his provocative pictures. :D

For the life of me, it's about time we got around to Japanese and Mexican beers. Warning though, when you order a beer in a Japanese restaurant, make sure you don't order a large unless you want to get sloshed. Those things gotta be about 50 ounces.

Patrick,

I too want to wish you the best of all retirements.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I would say English and Irish beers USED to be the best, followed by German and Canadian, BUT....with the comeback of the American microbrewery the best beers in the world now come from the United States. Also, the best beers are the ales, not the lagers. Lagers are for wimps...real men drink ales.
Speaking of real men....I'll always remember the quote by Arnold Schwartzneggar (sp) back in his bodybuilding days when asked how much milk he consumed per day (milk was very popular among weightlifters for it's high protein content)

He replied, "Milk! Milk is for babies....I trink beer!

DanaA

Screenwriter
I don't think any real difference exists between beer and milk. Have you so called experts double-blind tested? I recall a recent article in HT (homogenized taste) magazine, where a panel of self-identified golden tongues were incapable of distinguishing between goat's milk and lager when tested this way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks