Looking for a VERY good SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by paulBAW, Jun 24, 2003.

1. paulBAW

paulBAW Stunt Coordinator

I was considering on upgarding my Sony SCD-775 SACD player because while it does a good job on SACD's I feel it's performance on normal CD's is very average. I was curious if there are any recommened SACD players out there that give great CD performance and don't have a Sony 9000ES price tag.

If this is not the case, I might simply buy a CD player. Are their any suggestions? Would a NAD C541 be that much more of an improvement then my current Sony 5 disc? Or even a Rotel perhaps?

2. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Have you considered getting your -775 modded? There are places out there that do mods which they claim improve redbook performance, although I haven't heard the results.

Mark

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Why not buy a used 9000ES? Your stereo SACD playback while not reference would be purr-dy good and the CD playback is plenty good. The really good SACD players run $1500 and up new.

4. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I'm getting a Marantz SA8260 very soon and it's supposed to have good cd performance though i'm only getting it for SACD.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, Scott makes an excellent suggestion. The Marnatz '8260 is a very good component. On the other hand, you could get your 'CE775 modded. Note that mods void the warranty, but seeing as the 'CE775 was discontinued awhile ago, I can't imagine that you have long to go on the warranty, if it hasn't expired already. If interested, check out www.sacdmods.com .

Unfortunately, Sony no longer makes an audio-only SACD player to compete with the Marantz '8260. If you are willing to go the used route, take a good look at the Sony SCD-C555ES SACD/CD player. It's a great player, and you should be able to get one for $500-700. Check eBay and www.audiogon.com .