What's new

Looking for a TiVo solution (1 Viewer)

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
I just moved and I am waiting for Comcast to install my HDTV service. I have a home theater that requires the optical dolby digital connection. I called TiVo to purchase the HiDef dvr but they warned me about the recorded play back quality - has anyone experienced this? How bad is it?

Also I want to take advantage of the muli-room viewing so I would need to puchase an 80 hour standard definition dvr. However I do have an old svr-2000 who's modem has been replaced with the ethernet card. I can not transfer my service so I will keep this box running.

Anyone have any opinions or any heads up for me? Thank you!

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
What did they say exactly? :confused:

I have the TiVo S3, which is what the TiVo HD is based on -- both are high-def DVRs. Playback quality of HD is nothing short of stunning. Playback quality of SD is disappointing, but no worse than playback quality of SD from my Comcast Motorola 3416 DVR (I have one of those too), and not significantly worse than watching SD live.

Multi-room viewing is currently NOT supported on the TiVo S3 or TiVo HD. We hope to receive that feature later in the year.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yes, and home networking, Tivo2Go and some other things the Series-3s and TiVo HDs don't do, but they don't do HD. :frowning:

Regards,

Joe

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Hot off the wire... A marketing manager for TiVo announced yesterday that multi-room viewing and TiVo-To-Go functionality will be released to all TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD boxes in November. You will be able to transfer programming from SD sources between S2 and S3 boxes, and you will be able to transfer any programming between two S3 boxes, but you will not be able to transfer programming from HD sources to S2 boxes. Also note that, as you would expect, TiVo will follow the law, meaning that they will respect the copy protection directives of the content owner or distributor -- copy protected content cannot be copied at all even if they fit the parameters outlined above.

Rob White

Stunt Coordinator

Does that mean that I won't be able to copy a tv show from Tivo onto my Mac and then onto my iPod Touch?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
It depends on how the broadcaster marks the content. All over-the-air broadcasts have to be free-to-copy, so you should be able to copy television shows from over-the-air channels to your iPod Touch. However, a broadcaster like HBO will often copy protect all their programs, so you cannot copy any of their programming to your iPod Touch. Some networks will have half-and-half.

Full disclosure: I know nothing about iPods, specifically.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks