What's new

Looking for a thx certified receiver. (1 Viewer)

ChuckM

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for a good thx certified 5.1 surround sound reciever for under $400. I found a kenwood vr6070 for $377 but it's 6.1 and I rather have a 5.1 receiver.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The Kenwood is both a 5.1 and a 6.1 receiver, and is one of VERY few THX certified receivers in the price range.

Brent

CurtisC

Second Unit
Why? thx has little to no meaning.I own thx ultra and non thx,non is better in many cases.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't get too caught up in the whole THX certification. It limits your choices in that price range quite a bit.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I whole-heartedly agree with Donnie and Curtis. I have some very strong opinions on this whole THX mumbo jumbo stuff. Save yourself some headaches and money and don't get too wrapped up with it. A lot of it is marketing hype and a money making plan. I'll leave it at that.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Soooo...having heard that, I found a nice little Integra DTR-7 on ebay for $389 shipped. THX select, 105x5. It has DTS , DD, and DPL but none of that ES/EX/DPLII crap.
Very, very nice little receiver for the money. I am extremely happy with it so far. Those babies sold for around $1100-$1200 new. In your price range used/display/demo is the way to go, IMO.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have a Yamaha RX-V995 that is well outside the $500 range when it was still on the market. Yamaha does not THX cert there recievers. And it is better than many of the reciever that are THX certified. I used to think that seeing that THX badge ment something. But after companies like Technics and other cheaply built companies had THX badges put on them. After that I started paying attention to the performance and features more than the THX emblem on the front. Some companies stoped putting THX badges on to save the cost of having THX badges on there products. It cost companies a certain amount for each unit produced with THX on it. I would demo the recievers in you budget range and by what you like and if it has a THX badge on it then it has one. But I would not worry if it has one or not.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Why would you say that when you obviously have never even heard these formats?
Assumption is the mother of all f&** ups!
Besides, he said he was interested in a 5-channel.
DPLII sucks as far as I'm concerned. DPLII totally obliterates some sounds that are quite distinct in 2-channel, and adds fluff in place of substance. Why don't you just get a frickin' reverb unit.
Also, I don't buy anything with the thought of resale value.
It's not an investment fer crying out loud. If I want to get something else I'll give what I've got away to someone less fortunate....like my brother :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks