looking for a surround system and need opinions

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by david*mt, Jul 15, 2003.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

For the last year or so I've been using a crappy surround system but and am now ready to upgrade. I've got about $850 to spend on a decent 5.1 system. I already have a Yamaha HTR-5560 so I don't need a receiver. Anyway, I would just like to hear opinions on what would be best. I prefer tower speakers for the fronts so that I don't have to mess with speaker stands. The speakers will only be used for movies, no music. Can I find a decent system within my budget?

2. Andrew Pezzo

Andrew Pezzo Second Unit

The Energy Take 5.2 and S8.2 with 2 sets of matching stands would work nicely. They are great for movies and so so for music which is what you looking for. A nice thing about the Energy speaker stands is that the speaker mounts directly to the stand. FOr some reason not many satellite speakers do this.

IMO your better off with this combo since no music will be listened to. A decent set of floor standers will eat up a lot of your budget and are only necessary if you listen to a lot of music. You can get this set a bit under your budget to buy some DVD's.

3. gregD

gregD Second Unit

Acoustic Research and Canton make good speakers, and each makes a sat-sub system -- the AR HC6 and Canton Movie 5-CX, respectively -- that can be had at reduced pricing... you should be able to find either system for around $500, with a little effort.

Cambridge SoundWorks also offers very good sat-sub systems at several price points... check hifi.com.

4. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Well, I suppose the others didn't read closely enough. You want floorstanders for mains, and you won't get that with the systems that the others suggested.

Finding a decent system at your budget with the requirement of floorstanders for mains isn't necessarily easy. It can be done, but your options will be very limited.

I suggest taking a look at the Wharfedale Diamonds series. You can find a system within your budget that allows for using floorstanders as mains. The Diamond series are solid performers. Take a look at the ratings at audioreview.com and you will see they are rated very well. I have personally auditioned them and like them very much. The Diamond series is my personal favotite at their price point and I am never shy to recommend that somebody give them a listen and decide for themself.

Athena technology is another manufacturer that offers what you are seeking. I auditioned them a month ago or so at a local Best Buy. Very good at their price point, but not quite as good as the Diamonds, IMO. I found they did HT much better than 2 channel stereo. Considering you are mainly looking for the HT aspect, definately give them an audition if you have a Best Buy near you.

Some people find Fluance to fit their needs. I know nothing of them other than what I have read on the forums. If you do a search, you should be able to find ample information on Fluance speakers. They are definately within your budget.

Those are the 3 systems that come to mind that meet your budget while allowing for floorstanders as mains. Hopefully, other memebers will have a few more suggestions for you.

Best regards