Looking for a sub to go with my Vandy 1b and vcc center

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Massey, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Hello, I am currently looking for a sub to complete my HT setup. I have vandersteen 1b (about 10yrs) and have added a vcc center. I have some cheap caver for surrounds. My current receiver is a sony 800es (also looking to upgrade). THe problem I am having is its difficult finding a sub thats blends well with the vandersteen's. I would get a vandy sub, but it seems impossible to hock up without seperates. I have looked at the paradigm pw2200, servo 15 and NHT. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jeff

2. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Vandersteen has two models of subs. The older model (still produced) requires preouts and preins in order to use the crossover box.

The newer design has an LFE connection and should work fine with any HT reciever.

I had the older model for a while and it worked just fine with my Denon 3801 which has pre-ins and pre-outs. Separates not required. If your reciever has pre-ins and pre-outs then it will work and will blend perfectly. I found that it sounded very good for music but was weak and bottomed out all the time for HT. I sold it and built a sonotube sub based on the Tempest driver. I doesn't blend quite as good for music but isn't bad at all, and beats the heck out of the Vandy sub with movies.

You can often find the older model on the used market for around $500.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have a Vandersteen V2W sub. All you need from your receiver, is the typical line level sub output.

It's the older 2WQ (and others) that can be difficult, but not impossible, to hook up to a HT system.

Both are really excellent subs for the money. Check out the special subwoofer issue that WidescreenReview did a while back.

4. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

By the way, I've read some praise about the Vandersteen 2Wq sub, especially at www.audioperfectionist.com. Is this unfounded? To be honest, it seems like a pretty dumb idea (to me anyway) to run a sub with 3 8" drivers (not 1 12" which would probably be cheaper and have more displacement), and have a Fc of 60-80Hz and EQ the thing to bring up the low end. Doesn't that mean the sub isn't capable of any significant output? Or is that why it's called 'tight and musical'?... (sorry about the rant)

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The audioperfectionist is written by Richard Hardesty, who was the main reviewer for the Widescreen Review sub issue.
    3x8" vs 1x12" "dumb" ?
    Absolutely not! [​IMG]
    Consider that one of the major factors affecting a speakers sound, is mass of the driver, and how quickly it can react to the voltages being supplied to it.
    Obviously, each 8" driver is a lot less in weight than 1 12". Also easier and faster to react to V for displacement.
    Now, I'm not saying that you can't make a great sub with a 12" driver. Many companies do. Just that it's *easier* with 3 8" drivers.
    Read the detail on audioperfectionist.com. He states further reasons a lot more eloquently than I can. [​IMG]
    The main difference between the 2WQ and the V2W that I have, is the way that it hooks into your system differently. I *have measured myself* that I get quite substantial output from my sub down to 21 Hz. (Down about 6 dB at 20 Hz.) Not many subs can hold a candle to that. Especially for the price that you can get a Vandy for.
    And there are very few subs out there that can also stake that claim *with low distortion*. Any servo sub can (Paradigm servo-15, Velodyne HGS), and the tube-like subs such as SVS and Hsu Research. But most subs reach levels of distortion of 10 - 15% at any appreciable output that low. (Vandy's use feed forward error correction to get distortion down.)
    So, to answer your question: no, the praise is *not* unfounded. [​IMG]

6. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Thanks for all your help.

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

OK... I was just thinking that cone size has very little to do with sound quality in an of itself (the T/S parameters esp Fs,Vas,Qts are probably more important) and also have another question: What the heck is 'Feed Forward error correction?'

I have no qualms about the V2W. It, I think, doesn't use EQ and looks like a very good small hometheater sub.

Richard Hardesty in his review makes a big deal about the difference between 7 and 16ms (or similar) group delay... isn't more delay created by the crossover and room interactions so that the quality improvement (from sealed over vented cabinet) doesn't make much difference?

I don't know... it's just the 2wq's design approach that seems so unusual to me... the strengths I've seen so far in its design are also seen in other subs as well.