Looking for a solid DVD-A/SACD player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Darren_N, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I currently have a 5 year old Sony that has performed very well but I want to get into multi-channel music. Don't want to break the bank with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray around the corner (hopefully) but would like a good, solid player to hold me over. Looking to spend no more than $350. I cannot use upconversion (still having to use S-video for pete's sake) but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it was one of the options. I just want PQ to be as good or even better than my Sony (a 530D) and good quality audio for movies and DVD-A/SACD. Bass management with DVD-A/SACD would also be nice. Audio/video will be going through a Denon 3803.

I've been looking at the Pioneer 588 and the Denon 1920, possibly even a used Denon 2200. Have also heard a lot about the Oppo but I believe that it is DVD-A only, no SACD. Which one of these would fit my needs the best?

Any other suggestions? Toshiba? Panasonic? Yamaha?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Darren

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Get a 2200. I haven't seen the 1920 yet, but I had the 910 before the 2200 and it was less than impressive for the price, surprisingly. The 2200 however, has been a solid player for me so far though.

I still have my Sony 560D, and the 2200 has a better picture quality even in interlaced. Of the players I've seen, the Denons have the best bass management.

I actually had my 2200 for sale in the hardware f/s area here, however I am working on a deal with the person on the 2900. If you're interested, let me know.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

My Denon 2900 has served me well for over 2 years now, I hear you can pick 'em up used for the price you looking to spend.

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I got this DVD player last year. It's had no problems at all.
    Samsung DVD-HD941

Paul

6. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Sony players will not playback DVD-Audio.

The Yamaha DV-C750 is a 5 disc universal changer that has gotten quite a few good reviews for it's audio quality. I don't know about it's video quality, but I am concerned that it does not appear to have 3:2 pulldown. The Yamaha DVD-1500 and 2500 are single disc universal players w/3:2 pulldown and probably have better video than the 750. If the DV-C950 ever comes to market it should have good video quality, plus it has HDMI.

The Onkyo 802 is another option to look into.

7. John Garcia

John
    Sony DVD players don't have great picture quality either. They used to make some of the best interlaced players around, but their progressive players just aren't top notch, IMO.

FYI: Darren ended up buying my 2200. Thanks! [​IMG]

8. Darren_N

Darren_N Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

Sorry. I should have updated this thread to let everyone know that I decided to go with the 2200. I think it will be a very nice player to hold me over until the whole HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/return of Divx (possibly having to connect the player to a phone line) fiasco is sorted out.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Darren

9. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Wow... my Sony player has an excellent picture. Hmmm I often wonder what people really see.

10. Dan Driscoll

The perception of picture quality depends on a lot of things, major factors being the display and the person making the judgement.

11. John Garcia

John
    It also depends on what you've compared to. I've owned quite a few DVD players including a few Sonys. For progressive, the Sonys are just not at the top of the list, and aren't even on the list when it comes to universal players for obvious reasons (Sony doesn't make a universal player). My 2200 was an excellent player, and so is the 2900 that replaced it, but we're also talking about players that are $600 and $1K MSRP comparatively.

12. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Well...In the Orgional post..he didnt want to spend more then $350. I gave him a viable option. I mentioned to my dealer that my sony does not play DVD-audio- he said not true. hmmmm? There are always "better" players out there no matter what you buy. I just try to give advice on units I have run and fit there budget. I'd love a Yamaha dvd-950 or a Denon 2900...but as you said...they are over the "questioned" budget.

13. John Garcia

John
    I'm not trying to be mean about it, but DVD-A competes with SACD, a format Sony helped create, so there are NO Sony players that will play hires DVD-A tracks, period. This is the only reason why I say you did not give him a viable option. DVD-A discs will play, but you will only get the DVD-V portion, which can be read by any DVD player and is DD or DTS, including ones that are not DVD-Audio capable. If your dealer says otherwise, I'd look for a more knowledgeable dealer.

14. Dan Driscoll

Your dealer is wrong, I hope you're not depending on him for any other audio/HT advice. As John and I have both said, there are no Sony players that will read DVD-Audio.

What your dealer might have been thinking was that the DVD-Audio specification requires a Dolby Digital track, that any DVD player, including Sonys, can read. But DD and DTS are not the same as DVD-Audio.