What's new

Looking for a Small, Relatively Inexpensive, LCD TV (1 Viewer)

Sean~R

Auditioning
Hey folks,

Right now I am in the market for a (preferably) widescreen, HDTV compatible (up to 720p, though would pay more for 1080p), thats light and compact(9 - 17 inches), and can fit unobtrusively in a bedroom, a car, or wherever it may be needed.

So far, my research (including this site) has not turned up decent results. Either the TV is too large and too expensive, or too small and featureless. I've seen Sharp and the like, but I'd like to know what the opinion is around here.

Can anybody provide information such as a brand and model or a web site, or something that can give me some help in this new territory.

What I really want is something that will last me for at least the next 5 years and can handle whatever the future HD-DVD may bring with relative ease. $1000 is the absolute maximum I'm willing to spend on this monitor, because I just don't feel it is worth it to go high, especially since this will not be for my main system.

Well, I hope this made since. I'm sort of a beginner at this stuff, so forgive me for a lack of detail. Any help would be much appreciated.

SimiA

Second Unit
You can check thes out for starters.
Phillips 17PF9936
Panasonic TC-15LT1
SAMSUNG, 173MW
SAMSUNG, LTN-1765
Go video TW-1730
Vb

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Sean:

I've been looking for same as a replacement for kitchen TV.
I'm considering 15" - 17", but no larger. 13" models are a bit cheaper, but probably too small for my app.

After looking at quite a few, I was surprised to find that I dont care for the digital artifacting I;'ve seen on may of them. It makes the picture look grainy. So far, I have to say that Sony looks the best, followed closely by Sharp (Aquos) & Toshiba models. I really like the Tosh below, 15" with integral DVD ... it runs about $625.
(at OneCall)

I think you are aiming to high on price. You can get what you want for ~$500 at any BestBuy. It will be 720P native. You're not going to find 1080P this year. I'd say that upgrade is 1-2 years away and will be $$$! The only other option you might want to consider is the Wireless portable models from (?) Sony & Sharp. These allow you to move the unit around the house, running on rechargeable batteries ... a nice option, but adds a lot to the price & it's not that important for what I want.

Let us know what you learn/decide.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks