Looking for a seperate DTS or Dolby Digital decoder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_Ro, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

Hi all,

Ok, here's the situation. I own a reciever that is unable to do either Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS. I went looking for a seperate decoder but have been unable to find one, so as a last resort I came here to ask you guys for some help. The most I can really afford to spend right now is $200. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Keep your eyes open for used Technics SH500D DD/DTS processors. Should be able to find these between $100-200.

3. Tony Lai

Tony Lai Stunt Coordinator

SH-AC500D.

Punch it into Ebay and see what transpires.

T.

4. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

look for the Denon avd-2000 too (DD only)
    a search on e-bay for dolby decoder brought up some other candidates. the only one I saw with DTS was the Technics 500
    the others are only DD

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Millenium makes a DTS only decoder you can pick up for 200 bucks in silver (www.5point1.com).
    Do you have a really nice receiver or pre/pro that you cannot part with? For 200-250 you probably could pick up a receiver that has a nicer feature set then your older model and offer newer features such as 5.1 DVD-A/SACD inputs and S-Video switching.
    J

6. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

Thanks for the responses. Just saw some auctions on Ebay(can't believe I forgot to look there).

Yeah, I like my old reciever a lot. It may be old but it puts out a clean 120W per channel.

7. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Jason, if your receiver can't accept a 5.1 analog input, you're wasting your money.

8. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

My reciever definently has the 5.1 in. Just verified it by looking at the booklet.

9. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

If your receiver has a 6 **analog** connection input, then you don't need a standalone DTS/DD decoder, you just need to get a DVD player with one built in. Even a lowly Toshiba 4700 (like I have) has built in DD and DTS decoders and can send that analog (or digital) to a receiver.

10. Jason_Ro

Jason_Ro Agent

That's true. But I own a Playstation 2, and I know some games use Dolby Digital 5.1 for their cut-scenes and I'd like to get the full effect.