Looking for a "room primer"

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JonC, Jan 25, 2006.

1. JonC

JonC Auditioning

I'm just getting together my own modest home theater. I'm dedicating a room in my house that's about 12x13 strictly to home theater use.

I have hardwood floors and plain white walls and ceiling. I'm looking for something like a beginner's guide to basic theater room needs. Should I lay down a rug? Paint the walls? Anything else?

Any help is appreciated.. thanks!

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    First off, what type of display will you have? The reason I ask is, if you will have a projector, you want to keep the ceiling and walls a dark color.

3. JonC

JonC Auditioning

A projector is a possibility, but unlikely due to the size of the room.

A 42" plasma or DLP TV are most likely.

4. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    Jon,
    Here is a 12' x 14' Theater With a projector and a 95" screen. The dark ceiling and walls are a good idea, but be sure to use "flat" paint. If you have the opportunity, use recessed lighting. This way you can have some light with out it washing out the picture. You can also get some ideas from the Things I Wish I Would Do Differently posting.
    Dave

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Get a big rug and some soft wall hangings or tapestries. Probably going to need a decent sub; though the room isn't large, cancellation is greater when you get to square and near square measurements (L:W are 1:1 and 2:1). Flat, Satin or eggshell are good for the walls, in neutral colors.

6. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Jon, if you go with a 42" set, you will be kicking yourself that you didn't go bigger. That room size is not too small for a projector. You just need to use the proper screen size.

7. JonC

JonC Auditioning

How do I determine the proper size, and what is a good place to buy a screen?

8. JonC

JonC Auditioning

Actually, the more I think about it the less I want a projector. It would be fantastic for movies, but pretty awful for watching TV and football games. I think I'll stick with the TV.

9. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

Most people would advise the use of two displays in a room unless you have a separate room for just watching standard definition programming.

Most people use a small CRT or like for standard definition programming and a larger screen for high definition programming.

SD just does not look all that good when blown up to larger sizes, especially projector screen sizes.