What's new

Looking for a "room primer" (1 Viewer)

JonC

Auditioning
I'm just getting together my own modest home theater. I'm dedicating a room in my house that's about 12x13 strictly to home theater use.

I have hardwood floors and plain white walls and ceiling. I'm looking for something like a beginner's guide to basic theater room needs. Should I lay down a rug? Paint the walls? Anything else?

Any help is appreciated.. thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
First off, what type of display will you have? The reason I ask is, if you will have a projector, you want to keep the ceiling and walls a dark color.

JonC

Auditioning
A projector is a possibility, but unlikely due to the size of the room.

A 42" plasma or DLP TV are most likely.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Jon,
Here is a 12' x 14' Theater With a projector and a 95" screen. The dark ceiling and walls are a good idea, but be sure to use "flat" paint. If you have the opportunity, use recessed lighting. This way you can have some light with out it washing out the picture. You can also get some ideas from the Things I Wish I Would Do Differently posting.
Dave

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Get a big rug and some soft wall hangings or tapestries. Probably going to need a decent sub; though the room isn't large, cancellation is greater when you get to square and near square measurements (L:W are 1:1 and 2:1). Flat, Satin or eggshell are good for the walls, in neutral colors.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jon, if you go with a 42" set, you will be kicking yourself that you didn't go bigger. That room size is not too small for a projector. You just need to use the proper screen size.

JonC

Auditioning
Actually, the more I think about it the less I want a projector. It would be fantastic for movies, but pretty awful for watching TV and football games. I think I'll stick with the TV.

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Most people would advise the use of two displays in a room unless you have a separate room for just watching standard definition programming.

Most people use a small CRT or like for standard definition programming and a larger screen for high definition programming.

SD just does not look all that good when blown up to larger sizes, especially projector screen sizes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks