Looking for a repair/tech to help me out with laser pickups

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jeff D, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I'll be cross posting this in a few areas, I need an answer. Forgive me if you see several of these...

The situation:

The wife has a CD player that wasn't working I've got it narrowed down to a problem with the laser pickup. The part is an HOP-M3 (pretty old).

The part arrived today and I had the wife install it. (that was fun) After all that the thing now *works*, but not perfectly.

There's a couple of issues like audio cracks up sounding like white noise. My guess is a bad alignment/focus on the pickup.

There is a zip file attached with 4 picutres, two are of the pickup and two are of the screw and springs used to hold the pickup & motor tray to the rest of the drive.

First question... am I at risk of deadly radiation from running this thing without the cover? I have an 82 CD player that has warnings all over the inside to not operate without the cover on. Now every engineer I work with has CD/DVD drives in development boxes running with no covers. I don't remember if the denon has any warnings. I hope it's save.

Second, in the screws pictures this unit was disassembled a month ago, I pretty much remember how this went together, but these screws&spring parts got me confused. the other side of the pickup/motor assembly seems to be flush with the rest of the drive. I thought these spring screws could be a shock for the pickup, but I'm not sure how well this is working.

Lastly... what's the white part on the HOP-M3, can it be used to adjust the focus? If so... how? It seems every time you mess with the pickup assembly the whole pickup assembly can move around. I would think this is bad... is there a standard or parked position to use?

The unit now will play some discs, but not all tracks. Then there's also the problem with not all disc working too.

I hope someone can help me.
    Thanks!

2. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor