What's new

Looking for a reciever for Dahlquist system 6 (1 Viewer)

Mohammed L

Auditioning
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in purchasing a Home theatre system (my first), namely the Dahlquist system 6 minus the subwoofer (qx10's qx20R's and qx60C) because I was not impressed with the performance. I was thinking of purchaseing the JBL pb12, but have heard mixed reviews, especially on the electronics of this piece. Any opinions on this sub or any other equally priced one would be great.

More importantly, I need a good receiver to power it all, and was thinking of buying the onkyo TX-SR600, but I have heard that this reciever puts out much less than 80W/Channel in DD mode. If anyone has any suggestions on this amp or any others that would be around the same price range, it would be extremely helpful.

Finally, i just wanted to say that after looking for the past couple months, this is probably the most informative place on the net for home thatre equipment. Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys out there who help out and give your suggestions,

Thanks,
Mohammed

Jose G

Supporting Actor
How much are they asking for the SR600? How much do you want to spend on the sub? How large is the listening room? There are a lot of things to factor in. I'm not a pro but I know SVS, Adire Shiva RAVA and HSU VTF models are praised here. A DIY sub is also something to consider or a sub kit to start. On the receivers/seperates page there is a good receiver thread to look at with a list of many options. I highly recommend HK and Marantz receivers but that's a purely biased opinion, and one that I make assuming music listening is also high on your list. I would do a search on receivers on the forum for a lot of good info. One more comment- for the price of the JBL12, I think you could do better- but that all depends on the price, doesn't it? Take care and good luck. Check out PartsExpress.com for DIY and Sub kits.
Also there is a gentleman- Brian Bunge, of Rutledge Audio, who can build you a sub for about $400-500. My understanding is that his subs will blow many commercial subs out of the water.

Mohammed L

Auditioning
The price that I am getting for the Onkyo TX-SR600 is about $600, and the JBL about $350, all in canadian. The room size is about 24' by 13' with a very high ceiling. Thanks for the suggestions with the subs, I'll check it out and see, but my only problem is that $400-500 american is about $1000 canadian, which might be a bit much for me right now. But thanks again for the suggestion!

Marc H

Second Unit
I'd highly recommend the Harman Kardon AVR525 for that system.
Wonderful sound and will do justice to the QX10 nicely.
The AVR525 uses dual, massive, high current power supplies along with a very open and musical sounding set of D/A convertors. Who ever designed that receiver obviously put the sound quality first and foremost.
The QX10 speaker have amazing imaging qualities and the H/K goes along way to maintain that imaging quality all the way through.
I can't say I have any critisms of the Dahlquist subs though. I have many clients on this forum that use that sub and hopefully they will chime in with their thoughts. Can I ask what it was you didn't like about it? Don't go by the specs on their subs as they are brutally honest in showing low frequency extension only to the flat point. They have oodles of output below that. I have asked Ian Brown, president of Dahlquist, if he can come up with some charts showing the true extension and roll off as their specs can be a bit of a turn off when looking at the numbers. Sonically though, their 12 inch sub is outstanding IMHO.

Mohammed L

Auditioning
Marc,
My judgement on the subwoofer was in a demo room, before I had a chance to look at the specs. I heard it right before the jbl pb12, and it sounded as though the pb12 had a greater bass response over a broad range of frequency with just general music. After hearing what you have to say though, I think I might go back and listen to it again ,but play around with the settings a little more and see. But thanks for the suggestion on the amplifier. I was just wondering, I've heard that HK was a great receiver for music, but was slightly lacking in Home Theatre, but my sources aren't exactly the best. Since I am going to be using this system primarily for HT, I thought it might not be appropriate. I'm not sure if this is true though. What amplifier would be equivilent that onkyo makes, and would it be worth it?

Thanks,
Mohammed

Alex Dydula

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I have 2 QX10's, 2 QX6's , 1- QX60C and 125 sub.

These new Dahlquists are really awesome...I can not say enough good things anbout them...2ch and HT.

The sub is the middle of the line Dahlquist, my room is a compartively small one over the proverbial 2 car garage..the 'bonus room' turned into a HT room..

The addition of the sub... with care in placement added a new dimension and a really noticeable difference in the 5.1 sound experience.

It took some work to find that sweet, not boomy place and the bass management of the receiver was tweaked, but its really strong, and tight...very well controlled even with LOTR and U571 typs of stuff..

I had two other subs and this one is really good incomparision to the others...

Fyi
Alex

NOTE: I am using a SONY STR-DA4ES reveicer in 4 ohm position, no heat problems, and the sound levels will hurt your ears if you want it that high!

Philip A

Agent
I have a Dahlquist (QX10's & QX60C--front, QX6's & QX4--rear) system powered by a Yamaha RX 1200 (80 wpc; 6.1 DTS.es). I'm very happy with the speakers, to say the least.
Just this a.m. I was enjoying the chest-pounding mid-bass of the QX10's on such material as E.S. Posthumous and Collective Soul.
I got the Yammy for $600 U.S. last summer, but had purchased the Onkyo 600 first. I did an a/b comparison between them and was much more impressed with the Yamaha--build quality, sound detail (though at first listen the Onkyo was brighter and initially more impressive, over well-worn passages the Yamaha was able to deliver the detail, separation and sound-staging of the music over the Onkyo). I've written a more detailed review of both receivers at Audio Review's site, if you want to see them...
From my own experience, take Marc's advice (at Audio Shop http://www.audioshop.on.ca/ )--he knows what's up and is very fair and helpful. Many here and in other forums attest to his excellent advise and service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks