What's new

Looking For A Receiver (1 Viewer)

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
i am looking for an a/v receiver to replace my onkyo 575x. my budget is kind of limited, say $400, therefore i have been looking at older models. for example: denon avr-3200, 3300, 3600; yamaha rx-v1000; pioneer elite vsx-3ds, vsx-7tx, 9tx, 27tx, 29tx. you get the idea. let me tel you what i am running and this may help you to help me. i have a panasonic rp-91 dvd audio/video player, so 5.1 channel inputs are a must. i have a pioneer cld-704 laserdisc player, so ac-3 rf input would be nice (i can always buy a demod later on), but an optical input is a must for my dts lds. i have a ps2, an xbox, a dish network sat receiver, a denon dp-dj151 turntable (so a phono input is a must) and a yamaha cd player whose model escapes me at the moment. in other words, i need quite a few inputs. and s-video switching. i do not need 6.1 or 7.1, although that would be nice. and pro-logic 2 sounds intriguing, but not required. i am hoping to buy something along the lines of a denon avr-5803 in a year or so, and i can wait for the newer bells and whistles until that time. anyway, after all of that, if anyone has any recommendations or offers please let me know. and if you are in the Memphis, TN area i can pick it up to save you the hassle and me the cost of shipping. thanks

david

Gil D

Supporting Actor
David,
I have a Sony STR-V444es sitting idle and I have been thinking of selling it to go to a separate pre/pro like a Lexicon processor for a new theater room, since I already have the amps. I upgraded from a Denon 3200 with this unit when I purchased it and then picked up a Sony MOD-RF1 for AC3 lasers on my CLD-704 shortly after, knowing there were very few new receivers including this function as time goes on.

The Sony does DD, DTS, DPL-1, and myriad of other DSP's including the exclusive Cinema Studio EX modes and Virtual 6.1. Unlike alot of other receivers you can overlay the DSP mode over 5.1 sources to help with those weak 5.1 soundtracks found on some discs. It's only 5.1 capable but IMO the Sony EX and Virtual 6.1 modes are the next best thing to 6.1 bar Logic7.

Other features include adjustable crossovers, eq, LCD 2-way remote (can change just about everything using the remote w/out using on-screen menus during a movie), etc

Let me know if you have any interest. I have the original box, so shipping should not be a problem. Also, a family member may also still have an extra Sony MOD-RF1.

Gil

David Nolan

Stunt Coordinator
gil,

thanks for the offer. however, as always happens when i look to make an electronics purchase, my car broke down. i was in the grocery store last night for 5 minutes and when i came out every bit of my anti-freeze had leaked out of the bottom of the car. i don't know yet what the problem is, they should be towing it in right now, but depending on the cost it may be a few weeks before i can make any purchase. i appreciate the clue-in to this receiver, it was one of the main reasons i posted this thread because users can give you more info than just specs and the like. and also turn your attention to products you might have overlooked.

everyone keep the offers and suggestions coming though.
hopefully it's just a hose or something.

david

Tony Granatelli

Stunt Coordinator
David,

Since you asked for suggestions, I was going to say, "Prestone Prestone we need Prestone"... but some people might not get the humor in it all...

Seriously, after you get the hoses, water pump or radiator fixed (pray it's just the hoses) you may want to check out the new Panasonic SA-HE100. It is very inexpensive and really rocks....

Good luck,
Anthony Granatelli

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks