Looking for a receiver to power 2 sets of in ceiling speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KenLeBlanc, Jan 31, 2005.

1. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum so hopefully I've posted this in the right section.

I'm looking to purchase a receiver to power 2 sets of in ceiling speakers. I have 2 polk audio's in our master bedroom and 2 in the ensuite bathroom. I'm looking for a receiver that has the speaker A/B and A+B capabilities so I don't have to use a switch box. Does anyone have any recommendations, preferrably something affordable as I spent most of my money on my living room setup and these speakers/wiring.

Thanks in advance.

2. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Onkyo TX-8211 (50 watts x 2) or Onkyo TX-8511 (100 watts x 2).

3. KenLeBlanc

Thanks, I will read some reviews on those 2 models. Anybody else have any suggestions. Also if anyone knows of a good place to buy online for Canadian Shoppers please let me know. Only place I know of is Future Shop and they have very little selection and prices aren't great.

I've been reading some good posts about Sherwood receivers (especially considering price). Anyone know if they have the speaker A/B and A+B capabilities ?

4. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

Sherwood RX-4100, RX-4103, RX-4105 and Sherwood Newcastle RX-770 all have indpedent A, B speaker switching available from the front panel or from the remote.

Jeff

5. KenLeBlanc

I'd like to also be able to hook up a DVD player to the receiver to get the sound running through the in ceiling speakers. So I guess that rules out the stereo receivers ?

The ones I'm considering right now are:

Yamaha HTR-5730S
    Sony STR-DE597
    Onkyo TX-SR302S

I'm open to anything though. Most important thing is power, as I'd like to have decent volume for both pairs of speakers. I worry about the Onkyo's just because of their lower rated power.

Budget is around $200 delivered. I'm in Canada but can have stuffed delivered to US provided they allow me to pay with a Canadian Credit Card. (J&R does, I just ordered a JBL E250P subwoofer from them)

P.S. Is there a way to change the title of a thread ?

6. Jeff Hipps

Jeff Hipps Stunt Coordinator

All DVD players have a two channel analog ouput.

Jeff