looking for a receiver in the $250 range

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JoeGibs, Nov 7, 2004.

1. JoeGibs

JoeGibs Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a technics stereo receiver, and i'm looking to upgrade to a receiver that can handle all of the video and audio signals i have. I was looking at the yamaha htr-5650 but i read something in another thread about maybe considering the htr-5750 instead, because the 5650 is a year old. I looked at the specs of the 5750 but it didnt say anything about the available video/audio in/outs. I'm assuming its the same as the 5650, but i'm not sure.

I'm still very open for suggestions. I'll list what other components so someone can maybe suggest something that'll work well for me.

i have an RCA 27" tv (not that nice but suits my needs)
    emerson dvd/vcr (another cheapo but it does the job)
    magnavox 5 cd changer
    technics stereo receiver (being replaced)
    two towers each containing a 1" tweeter and a 10" woofer (not subwoofer)
    PS2
    and soon going to be upgrading to a powered subwoofer or a sub/amp seperate with my own enclosure to house it.

i'm very willing to buy off ebay, and very opposed to paying retail at some chain store. I'm willing to buy from other online stores as well.

thanks for any help

2. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    Are you interested in refurbished units?
    Go to www.overstock.com and check their stuff out. They have been having some refurbed JVC, Yamaha and Denon receivers, at a good price. They come with a warranty, and you can buy extra warranty cheap.
    Good luck!

Edit:
    I just went and looked. The Denon or JVC is more what you're looking for, I think. The page is here:
    http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....RO_SSUB_CAT=57

3. JoeGibs

JoeGibs Stunt Coordinator

i've taken a look around on overstock.com and at ebay, i just dont like the feeling of buying a refurbished item. I prefer to buy brand new. does anyone know if the yamaha htr-5750 has the same audio/video in/outs as the previous year's model?

4. jinW

jinW Extra

used does not hurt, and you can get more from used equipment for the money, just be carwful...

all my equipments are used, from TV to receiver to speakers...