Looking for a really good progressive scan dvd audio & sacd combo player.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adams, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I am really sold on the Panasonic DVD-XP 50. The only problem with it is that it only does dvd-audio and not sacd. Does anyone know if Panasonic plans on any sacd dvd-audio players in the future? My main use for this will be movies but I would also like to enjoy high rez audio from either sacd or dvd-audio. This unit looks to be very very good in the video department though. Maybe I should just go with this in my main theater room and put my SACD player in my bedroom. What do you guys think?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeff, I don't see Panasonic (Matsushita) releasing any components with SACD capability. Matsushita seems to be aligned with DVD-Audio.

Note that to get a universal player right now, you will have to spend more than the cost of the 'XP50. The cheapest universal player available at present is the Pioneer Elite DV-45A at $500. I'm not sure it offers video quality up to the level of the 'XP50, however. Do a search for more information.

If you can wait, Pioneer will be releasing the DV-563A universal player for around $270 later this year. Also, Zenith will be releasing the DV-318 universal player later this year for $200. I don't know how they are supposed to perform on the video side, as I don't know what chipsets they will use.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

One still needs an ICBM if getting a SACD or DVD-A player correct?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, not necessarily. It depends on your speakers or preferences. If you have full-range speakers all around, you don't need bass management. Secondly, some folks find on-board bass management (on players that offer it) to be sufficient. Thirdly, some folks simply don't like bass management. I fall into the third category. My speakers are only rated to 50 Hz, but I do not use on-board bass management and do not have an ICBM. I am perfectly happy with this set-up.

5. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Its a tad expensive, but I love my Marantz DV-8300. There are people on the web who will comment on the video quality, but on the audio side, it is fantastic and would take quite a bit of money to beat out sound wise.

IMO, the video is very good. I did like the video out of my S9000ES a tad more, but once the movie starts, I do not notice anything bad, and thats what really counts.

6. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Here are the universal (SACD & DVD-A) players I'm aware of:
    Onkyo (DV-SP800), Marantz (DV8300), Yamaha (S2300), and Pioneer (DV47Ai).

The experts over at the Secrets website (www.hometheaterhifi.com) recommend the Yamaha S2300 as one of, if not the, best universal (SACD & DVD-A) players. The Pioneer Player rated horribly in their progressive scan shootout, failing 14 of 22 tests, so I'd steer clear of that one.

I don't personally own any of these, but have been researching them and anxiously awaiting a good model to arrive on the market sub $500.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jay, the Pioneer Elite DV-45A is a universal player that retails for $500. However, I would not expect it to perform as well as the '47Ai on the whole.

8. KennethF

KennethF Stunt Coordinator

also dont forget that denon will be releasing the 2900 universal player in may... which i myself am waiting for. supposedly it will be based on denon's 3800 player which has received great reviews for both audio and video.

9. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

What is the expected street price?

10. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Yea, I read those reviews and saw how terrible some of those players did. Like I said in my post, Video is my main concern and want the absolute BEST picture quality I can get. I just would love the flexibility and convenience of a combo player. Kenneth, how well did the Dennon do on the video side of the test? Do you know if the new 2900 universal player will be using the same chip for video?

11. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Jeff,

The Denon 2900 isn't even out on the market yet.

Rumors that the DV-2900 is based on the DV-3800 are incorrect. As per discussions with Denon @ CES, a different design team was used for the 2900, than was used on the 3800.

It will not use the same MPEG decoder as the 3800, whether this is good or bad, or merely different remains to be seen.

That is as far as I am comfortable in discussing this product at the moment.

And to preempt the question, no I don't have a DV-2900 I am testing at this time.

Regards,

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Donnie, the '2900 reportedly will retail for $1000. Authorized dealers will probably have it for around that price.

13. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

14. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

15. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Brian, I wouldn't worry much about damaging your speakers. I doubt that will ever happen, especially with your B&Ws. If the speaker can't handle what's sent to it, it may cut it off, or it may sound distorted. I've sent 16Hz test tones to my Polks, they kept working just fine even though they aren't rated near that low.

The Yamaha is probably the best universal player out right now. I'm biased as I just bought one. But still, it rates way at the top at Secrets, and it does offer primitive bass management. It is the only universal player that offers bass management, so that's a big plus. Also, its based on the RP-82 with minor software changes plus SACD support which may come from a Pioneer player.

16. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

There were comments made by Denon that stated if you want superior SACD and DVD-Audio playback to get separate players that do each format on its own-- a universal player (at least in Denon's eyes) is a compromised product in order to get convenience to masses.

I guess you could look at it as separate components vs. a receiver. In a receiver you have everything crammed together in one box... somethings gotta go.

I'm waiting for Sony's newer ES SACD audio-only player line to get announced as they supposedly have new chips with bass management and time delay in the DSD domain without PCM conversion (all DSD from stem to stern).

Then for DVD-Audio I'll get a player that handles both video and audio well.

Dan

17. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Dan, I agree with Denon's statement as well. I feel that there has to be some kind of compromise if you try to cram everything into one piece of equipment. However, due to the fact that my receiver only has 1 set of inputs for sacd or dvd-audio, I really do not have much of a choice. I need a player that does both. And as I am a casual listener for music, I don't need the highest end audio player, my main concern is the video side of this. I want a superior image from my dvd player. If I had it my way, I would have one dedicated dvd player for dvd playback only. One universal dvd audio/sacd player and one dvd recorder. I like to try to keep everything seperate if possible. I heard they have switcher boxes to switch between dvd audio and sacd. Is this true? And isn't that a compromise as well?

18. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

There's no need to compromise for these formats in one machine. Yamaha and some of the others have given them a separate signal path, etc. and they could potentially be as good as two separate units. Of course in practice this may not happen because what is the best DVD-A player and what is the best SACD player is mostly subjective.

Still, its interesting to see this quote from Denon since they'll be putting out a universal player soon. Does this mean they have no faith in it? Do they make standalone SACD or DVD-A players? I'm pretty sure at this point they only make DVD-A, and I believe their's is pretty good. So either the person who said this is eating their words right now, or they've heard their SACD solution and aren't satisfied.

Jeff, if video is your main concern the Yamaha is a no-brainer, if you like Panasonic's that is and don't mind the cost. Look at the Secret's review. Its only down a bit from the best of the bunch, and its by far the best universal. I think its the only universal they've looked at without the chroma bug.

Sure separates would be nice. But with most receivers having only one set of 5.1 inputs, the minor compromises in some of the universals are worth putting up with to get both of these formats.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian said:

20. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator

the Yamaha may be the best universal from the video side but the Marantz DV 8300 is the best universal from the audio side!