Looking for a quality bookshelf speaker ...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Marcus Lewis, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

Looking for a quality bookshelf that will give me a similar (of better) sound than the Vandersteen 2ce Signatures (mids & highs).

I'm in Trinidad, so my choices are limited and if I import I'm faced with almost 40% duty on the cost of the item plus shipping ... That said I have available to me a choice of either the Polk LSi 9's :

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/produc...25&speaker=161

or the Energy Veritas V2.2i :

http://www.energy-speakers.com/verit...rs_sub2-2.html

Unfortunately the dealers don't have any in stock (being Trinidad) so if I want to hear them I have to buy them ...

The speakes will be crossed over to a sub and will have to run (for now) of a Rotel 976 RSX receiver (150w / channel or 75w rms/channel).

I have Klipsh reference for my hometheater but they don't hold a candle to my old man's 2ce's and I have a pair of Ascend CBM 170's (I had a third but it died [​IMG] ) that I like but I'm really looking for the next level in sound like I hear with the 2ce's ...

Thanks in advance all opinions welcome ...

2. Scott_N

Scott_N Second Unit

I haven't heard either the Vandersteen's or the Polk's but the V2.2i's are very good speakers. They have a nice clear midrange and detailed but not edgy highs. I think they work great for either HT or music. Other bookshelf speakers I really like are the Von Scheikert VR-1's, Amphion Argon 2's, Dali Grand Coupe, JMLab Electra 906's, Revel M20's, Soliloquy 5.0's and Tetra Bullit's. Good luck with whatever you buy.

3. Marcus Lewis

Thanks for the kind words Scott ... Ay other opinions of the Polk's vs the Energy stuff?

4. BillSune

BillSune Agent

The Polks are absolutley wonderful sounding speakers. They have a great imaging as well as a full range sound field. These are the most detailed bookshelves that I have personally heard.

Bill

5. Marcus Lewis

Thanks Bill ... after much research the Polks look like they will be the one ...

I'll let you guys know how they are when I get 'em ...

6. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Von Schweikert VR-1's

BOK