looking for a projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by dark-hobo, Sep 7, 2006.

1. dark-hobo

dark-hobo Auditioning

I have been looking for a prjector to buy in the next month or two. I found one that perfectly fits my budget, below 1500, and seems nice on paper. it is the Viewsonic PJ256D.

It's stats are as follows:
    Type Projection 0.7" DLP (1) 0.7" DLP (1
    Projector Brightness 1500
    Brightness Economy Mode -
    Native Resolution XGA (1024x768)
    Native Aspect Ratio 4:3
    Compress Res 1280x1024
    Projector Contrast 2000:1
    Video Compatibility Component, S-video, Composite
    HDTV 1080i, 720p
    Lamp Life (hours) 2000, 4000 eco-mode
    Projector Noise Level (-db) 38.0, 37.0 eco-mode
    Audio -
    DVI or HDMI Interface -
    Zoom Lens 1.16:1
    Power Zoom/Focus No
    Optical Lens Shift -
    Optional Lenses No
    Wireless Presentation No
    Wireless Networking No

I know enough to interpret most of this stuff. but I can't find any reviews on this projector at all. So objective information is nill. I was just wondering if anyone here could vouch for it.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I would pass on that projector. Are you looking for a native 4:3 projector like that? What is your budget? What will you use projector for? Do you want a DLP projector?

3. dark-hobo

dark-hobo Auditioning

Well I prefer 4:3 because I don't mind letterboxing for widescreen and I realize that most of my time on it will be spent playing games and watching tv. My budget is below 1500 I could go a little more if it means a drastic increase in quality. But veiwsonic makes awesome LCD monitors so despite the lack of reviews I am assuming they can't be taht much worse in the projectors field. What are the advantages of DLP over LCD and vice versa? I read a few sites on the technologies and the only site I found that has that I found about a year ago and can't remember anything about it.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    There's 2 sites that have great articles about DLP vs. LCD, projector reviews, and many other informative topics. Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com. Are you talking about watching HDTV or standard TV? Because standard TV will not look very good on a projector. There are a couple 720p projectors you can buy for $1500 or less, and more coming down in price all the time. One is the Panasonic 900(LCD) and a new Optoma DLP(720p) is due out the end of this month for $999. There's a link at Visual Apex with the specs.

5. TicoTVA

TicoTVA Stunt Coordinator

I agree very companies are prioritizeing 4:3 projectors since everything is moving to 16:9 . Usually you have the option to switch aspect ratios on most HD projectors. There are couple old NEC and Infocuss that used 4:3 s and you had to use an anmorphoric lens to get 16:9

6. dark-hobo

dark-hobo Auditioning

Well, I geuss if no one has anything to say about that projector what are some other good ones I could check out. I could possibly raise my budget to below 2k. I need a large ANSI lumen amount as I doubt I could consistently keep the room completely shrouded in darkness. I know of many that fit this description. My whole thing is that I want more of a tried and tested projector. If I am going to drop this kind of cash on something I want something that actually has some good objective reviews on it.

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Ian, take that good advice from Jim Mcc and go to projectorcentral.com and/or projectorreviews.com and read ALOT of good stuff about projectors and which one can meet your needs.

Good luck. [​IMG]

8. frogpond

frogpond Stunt Coordinator

Two excellent PJ's under 2k are the Panasonic 900 and the Sanyo Z4(which is what I have). Don't buy into the myth that you need complete darkness for a pj. Obviously the pic will look better in near to pitch dark but during the day we have ambient light from windows and doors and the pic is pretty good. Just as long as most of the ambient light is away from the screen or wall where the pic is being projected. Nothing drives me more nuts than going to Tweeter and seeing ALL the track lighting pointed AT the screen. I think this is where people get the idea that you can't have ay light at all.

9. dark-hobo

dark-hobo Auditioning

Yeah I geuss I will take to spending my hours before work looking at those sites [​IMG]. I just wanted to see if I could save a bit of time [​IMG].

10. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Darkhobo, you still haven't said if you want a DLP or LCD projector. You really need to decide that first, then you can narrow down the projectors. Plus I repeat that standard TV(if that's what you'll be watching) will not look very good on any projector. Are you limited by a low ceiling? I definitely would not buy a native 4:3 projector at this point in time. 5 years ago, yes.

11. dark-hobo

dark-hobo Auditioning

I am looking more for DLP but I, in truth, don't care THAT much. Of course I will be watching standard TV, who doesn't as not all channels output HD signals now. But I will also be watching HD DVDs and I will be buying a Wii and will most likely be buying a PS3. So... yeay, plus I would just like to have a big a** TV [​IMG]. I have pretty much dreamt of getting a projector since I was like ten and started seeing them at electronics stores a lot and now I can get on. To answer your other thing though I have decided against 4:3. I like 4:3 more personally but I realize that things are moving towards widescreen, T.T, so I have decided to make sure I don't get fubared later on down the line and just suck it up for widescreen.

EDIT: BTW I am now looking at a BenQ PE7700

12. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    There's no problem watching 4:3 material with a 16:9 projector, you'll just have bars on each side. I would not buy the Benq 7700. It's had a lot of problems with early bulb failure, and I don't know if they have the problem fixed yet. You can read all about it at Avsforum.com. For LCD projectors, I agree with frogpond and the Panasonic 900 and Sanyo Z4. For DLP, the Optoma HD72 and Mitsubishi HC3000 are great projectors in your budget.

13. dark-hobo

dark-hobo Auditioning

Yeah I saw a lot of reviews saying that. But apparently that was on pre 2006 models. Not sure if that is exactly true but I saw a lot of reviews supporting this. And all the blown out bulb reviews either didn't have a purchase date or did have a purchase date before 2005 or early this year. Of course this could just be merchants and BenQ submitting their own reviews...

14. TicoTVA

TicoTVA Stunt Coordinator

I see one main issue with your goals here: If I understand you right you want a lot of lumens for a little money. Its not going to happen. Most home projectors are in the 1000-1400 range which is plenty for most dimmly lit rooms. You'll need to accept this range if you are not going to create a dedicated room.

Well, I geuss if no one has anything to say about that projector what are some other good ones I could check out. I could possibly raise my budget to below 2k. I need a large ANSI lumen amount as I doubt I could consistently keep the room completely shrouded in darkness. I know of many that fit this description. My whole thing is that I want more of a tried and tested projector. If I am going to drop this kind of cash on something I want something that actually has some good objective reviews on it.

15. Jason Sweet

Jason Sweet Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a Optoma HD72 for $1599 after rebate, plus it came with a free bulb (which will run you $300-400 alone) plus free shipping.

I use it mostly for gaming, cable, and now HD DVD (and upconverted DVDs).
    It has the highest lumens and contrast ratio in the price range, and great colors. Plus it has 2 digital inputs, a DVI and an HDMI. My father has the Infocus 4850 and mine blows it away.

The only bad thing is the offset, you have to ceiling mount it or put it on the floor, shelf mounting is pretty much impossible (unless you put it on a really high shlef and invert it, like I had to do.

Here's some pics of mine in action on a 92" Greywolf II:
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...r/IM000289.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...r/IM000288.jpg
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...IM000290-1.jpg