What's new

Looking for a projector (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sacha, based on your needs of a HTPC then, I would seriously consider the Sony HS20 with a 16x9 screen. You will be able to get 1024x768 displayed with no loss of resolution that you would get with an 800x600 projector. The image would be displayed with black bars to each side of the image. You would also have the advantage of native 16x9 panels with a 1366x768 resolution which would be a tremendous advantage for widescreen (movie) watching. This particular projector will fit within your budget and give you the extra resolution for widescreen sources as well and at a great price.

Think of it as a 1024x768 projector that opens up to a wider resolution whenever you want to watch your movies.

To give you an example of the power of native 16x9 panels check the following little example....

You want to watch Toy Story 2 and are deciding between an XGA projector (1024x768) and a WXGA projector (1366x768). Let us call them projector 1 (XGA) and projector 2 (WXGA). Toy Story has an aspect ratio of 1.78:1 or 16x9 if you wish. It will be displayed on projector 1 with black bars on the top and bottom of the image and the actual usable resolution of the movie would be 1024x576. Now the same movie displayed on projector 2 would fill the entire screen and have an actual usable resolution of 1366x768, almost twice the pixels of the first projector.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I just looked at the HS20, the best prices I seemed to find where $3000 which is well over my budget of $2000-3000 total. I'm now thnking of $2000 Max and getting a $5000-10 000 in a few years.

Also, 90% of what I watch is 4:3 and I would really prefer having bands on the top and bottom of 16:9 movies than side bars on most of everything I watch.

Thanks

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
My mistake, I meant to say the HS10 is going for $2K if you shop around. And that's the one I own. The HS20 hasn't been released yet.

Sasha, I was really worried about 4:3 material when I bought the 6:9 projector. I shouldn't have, the side bars of 4:3 are no big deal, and you'll revel in the extra picture information you were missing without widescreen. Plus HDTV is simply killer on the HS10 with its high resolution.

Once you go widescreen, you never come back. That said, there are biz oriented projectors such as the Panny 75 or 76U that have 1280X720 resolution and do a decent job with video (though only 400:1 contrast ratio). I think its selling for under $1500 these days.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
But 90% of what I watch is 4:3 (TV/Games) so I really prefer getting a 4:3 projector. And the top/bottom bands when wathcing 16:9 movies wouldnt bother me at all, but the side bands I would get if I got a 16:9 PJ would really bother me because I couldnt use the entire width of the screen.

The X1 is interesting but I don't think it can accept a 1280x1024 signal, am I wrong? I would also definatly try a demo first to be sure I can live with the rainbows.

Thanks for the suggestions

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Thats the problem I never saw a DLP projector, I'll have to see if any store can set one up to demo or order a free 10 day trial from infocus.

Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Here are some SVGA 4x3 projectors (all LCD) to consider if you really don't want one of the above recommended units...

NEC VT46 - 800x600, 1200 a.l., 400:1 c.r., 3000 hr bulb, 1600x1200 max, $1295 msrp

Sharp Notevision PG-A10S - 800x600, 1500 a.l., 400:1 c.r., 3000 hr bulb, 1400x1050 max, $1995 msrp

Mitsubishi HC2 ColorView - 800x600, 1100 a.l., 600:1 c.r., 2500 hr bulb, 1280x1024 max, $1999 msrp

These units are more geared for presentations and won't have the same contrast ratio that some of the other units have that are more geared to home theatre. This is where you have to decide if the compromise is justified considering the HT portion will represent only 10%.

Good luck

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Do you only see them if you move your eyes from one side to the other or can they been seen when not moving your eyes as well?
Both, at least for myself, my wife and my daughter. Although they saw them, they were unaffected by them. Myself, I got dizzy and slight headaches after about 20 minutes of viewing.

Everyone is different, give a DLP a test run, they do produce a beautiful image. Just keep in mind, even if you do not see them, your guests might.

...and yes, your faster color wheel DLP's will reduce rainbows and so will screen color and filters.

Peace Out~:D

Sacha_C

Second Unit
DLPs only projector one color (either red green or blue) at any given time, but alternate between the three many htousand times per second, but in fast moving action or when moving your eyes you can see the 2 colors get seperated which is called the rainbow effect.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
If there is a way that you can demo any potential projectors (DLP or other), that would definitely be a good idea. I've seen the rainbow on the only DLP (it was an inexpensive business projector though) that I looked at, but I understand that there may be some DLP models where I wouldn't notice the rainbow problem.

I ended up getting a used CRT front projector at a great price. Have you thought about CRT? For $2-3K, there are a lot of options in the used CRT area.

Matt

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Don't CRTs take 1 hour to start up? I'd have to hire a psychich to tell me 1 hour before I want to watch something :D. Anyway those huge projectors wouldn't fit in my small room.

Thanks

videobruce

Stunt Coordinator
They take that long to stablize enough to do any alignment adjustments. You have been watching a CRT all your life. How long have they taken to 'warm up'?

How small is your room? A RPTV doesn't take up any more floor space as a 'console tv' would.

You do know what a 'console tv' is don't you??

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure I read CRT projectors take 30-60 minutes to start up (I just checked, it takes 30-60 min before the image reaches top brightness/quality).

I do not know what a console TV is and I dont think I will ever buy a TV, that's why I'm asking about projectors, there is no place in my room for a TV and they just cost much more for a much smaller screen.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Sacha, just for reference, my CRT front projector (Ampro 3600) takes about 2 minutes to warm up enough so that the convergence is nearly spot on. After that, I can watch it, no problem at all.

If I'm ever going to make any adjustments to the set up, I do like to wait about 30 minutes or so just to make sure everything is settled in. This is the same recommendation you will see when making adjustments to a standard TV with Video Essentials or Avia.

It is true though that they are large, although some of the smaller Sony's (1031Q) are relatively small, although still larger than the newer digitals. Mine is currently set up on a small table (floor mounted) although I'm going to ceiling mount it eventually.

Matt

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sacha, I have combined two threads of yours into this single one. Basically all of the questions you have on what type of projector would best suit your needs, as well as questions on DLP can be kept in this single thread.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
No problem, sorry for making so many seperate threads of the same subject.

BTW Is there no edit function in this forum or do I just not see it?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks