What's new

Looking for a projector (1 Viewer)

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I will be getting a projector as soon as I can afford one which should be in a few months hopefully. Anyway, I'd like recommendations and ideas of how much the bulbs will cost per hour.

I would like a projector that can accept a 1280x1024 signal (but 800x600 or 1024x768 native res) since that is what I use on my PC monitor and I won't want to chaneg the resolution each time I want to use the projector.

Is there a big difference in quality for DVDs between a 800x600 and 1024x768? Is it worth getting a 1024x768?

I would also like a projector with an "economy" mode that dims the lamp to increase it's life (I assume "economy" mode look fine when in total darkness?)

Could you please recommend a few projectors that would end up costing me less than $3000 US and that have a good per hour bulb cost?

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Do you know if you can see the rainbow effect on that one?

I think I would prefer an LCD because I think the rainbow effect would really annoy me.

Thanks

greg jones

Stunt Coordinator
Check into the Panasonic AE300 or better yet, wait until the end of this year/first of next year and go for the AE500. LCD technology, anti-screendoor lens, 5000 hour lamp life, size of 8x11 piece of paper.

I've got an AE100 and love it. I watch OTA HDTV via my HTPC and absolutely love it.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
That one looks great but it's well over my budget of $3000 total (including taxes, shipping duties).

I'm starting to realize I might not be able to get one that can handle a 1280x1024 signal for that price, are there any downsamplers or any other way I can have my PC monitor at 1280x1024 and a projector showing the image downsampled to it's native resoltuion?

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Any comments on thse 2? They support 1280x1024 and are in my price range:
Mitsubishi HC2 ColorView
Mitsubishi SL2U ColorView

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
That Mitsubishi SL2U ColorView looks VERY intresting, around $1000 or less online, 800x600 native, 1280x1024 max, 1200 lumen, 600:1 contrast.

Is 600:1 contrast good enough for good tv/dvd/game viewing?

I think that's my #1 so far.

Thanks

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
It would not surprise me if you can get the Infocus for $3K. Where are you located?

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
There's a whole new crop of 16X9 WXGA LCD's coming on the market from $1500 to $3500 and all offering upwards of 1200 contrast ratio. The Panasonic AE500, Sony HS20 and Sanyo Z2. Those should definitely be the bang for the buck projectors with higher rezzed DLP's not coming down in price.

Any of these projectors should give VERY impressive picture quality. The HS20 as seen at Cedia is said to give 90% of the picture quality of the $10K projectors. These should be on the market over the next couple of months, and by all means wait until they're out to make a decision.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I will be getting a projector within a year hopefully less.

I have completly removed DLP's from consideration due to the rainbow effect which I am sure would drive me crazy, but I'm wondering if I'm over reacting. Do you only see them if you move your eyes from one side to the other or can they been seen when not moving your eyes as well?

For TV/DVD/Games which would have the best image quality? My budget would be $3000 max including shipping/taxes/duties, but I would prefer to spend only $2000 or less if that can get me a good image.

For this budget are there any DLPs with not too bad rainbow effects and is the quality compared to LCDs better enough to compensate for the rainbow effect?

Thanks

Sacha_C

Second Unit
BTW I saw a recorded video example of the rainbow effect on DLPs showing a white circle on a black background, this is not at all a true to life comparison because no one in their right mind would buy a $2000 projector to show a white ring on a wall.

Could anyone with a dlp record a DVD projection while moving the camera rapidly from side to side so I can have a more true to life example?

I might also try to apply for the 10 free days from infocus if individuals are elligible.

Thanks

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I didn't see that he wanted a 4:3 aspect ratio, but a projector that will do 1024 X 768 for PC resolution. The HS20 (and HS10) has 1366 X 788 resolution that will do 1024 X 768 natively.

Even if you're using alot of computer applications, I'd still recommend a 6:9 screen. Heck, even my laptop screen is 6:9.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
I want one that will accept a 1280x1024 signal, but 800x600 native would be enough, as long as it can handle my monitor's resolutio because I dont want to change res all the time.

Can any projector accept a 1280x1024 signal and downsample it or can only certain models downsample from that resolution?

I'm in Quebec, Canada.

Actually I might lower my budget to $2000 max total cost and get a better one a few years later.

Thanks

Lawrence X

Stunt Coordinator
You can get the HS20 right now with full native res support and more for around $2K. But it's 6X9.. And currently that's the least you can pay for that much resolution.

But yes, most projectors will downrez the image at some expense of image quality. (I own one and highly recommend it).

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Sacha,
I just got done with the 14 day demo. I am not a reseller so anyone can demo it. Try the demo out no charges unless you send it back late. $100 a day I think.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Sacha, for the benefit of us all (me included), can you explain exactly it is that you want to do? Obviously you want it used as a computer monitor but will you also be using it for movie watching as well?

If so then the Sony HS20 may actually may be a consideration with a 16x9 setup and when you are watching a 4x3 source, the image will be pillarboxed (black bars to the left and right) but for widescreen sources, the native 16x9 panels of the projector will be of great benefit.

Sacha_C

Second Unit
Actually I wont be using it as a computer monitor, but my PC is my TV and DVD player (I have a real TV but never use it because of all the advantages of the TV with my ATI All In Wonder card).

I have a 6.1 receiver but with a 17" monitor that makes a big hole in my "home teather" experience.

I will use it for TV, DVD and games.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks