Looking for a projector. Widescreen on 4:3?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by TomBarnard, Apr 20, 2004.

1. TomBarnard

TomBarnard Extra

I am looking to purchase a front projector and am leaning towards the Sanyo Z1 because of it's reviews on htf. I recently saw a low-end BenQ model (the PB2120) in Home Theater Builder magazine recommended, but it is a 4:3 projector. I plan on watching widescreen dvd's exclusively on my new projector. It will never be used for standard or HDTV or any other purpose. Considering my widescreen source material, am I best suited to stick with the 16:9 native Sanyo or is there another recommendation in the sub-$1500 category? Thanks for any help.

2. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Have you tried the Infocus X1? I just finished a free demo and it's a great program. They paid shipping both ways, I received the projector the day after I ordered it, and it was a really good way to see how it can work in my HT.

3. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

panasonic l200u-lcd
    optoma h30-dlp

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  6. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Exclusive for DVD watching,

7. David WS

David WS Stunt Coordinator

Jack,

The link you added to the X1 trial needs to start "HTTPS:\..." not "HTTP:\..." The form on that page takes a credit card number and without the "S" people could submit a credit card number over the internet without encryption. [​IMG] Please Update your post.

Dave

8. TomBarnard

TomBarnard Extra

thanks for all the help. Particularly the link to Projector Central. That is a fantastic resource. I am finding models that I didn't know existed. It is now an even harder decision, but the Epson Powerlite Home 10 seems to be a strong contender within my

9. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

If you are only going to watch widescreen movies, get a 16x9 projector and screen.

But if you are also going to watch a significant number of older movies or tv shows on dvd, you should consider a 4x3 projector and screen.

I went with a BenQ PB8220 4x3 projector and screen because while I am fanatical about correct aspect ratio and won't buy or rent a P&S movie, I do like a lot of older movies and some tv shows on dvd. The projector can switch between 4x3 and 16x9 at the touch of a button, and while I sacrifice a little height in 16x9 mode over a dedicated 16x9 projector, I get a 34 sqft image in 4x3 mode, which no dedicated 16x9 projector can come close to when using a 100" screen like mine.