What's new

Looking for a program to convert a directory listing to HTML (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm trying to build a kiosk print station, and basically I need a program that will read a directory and make HTML links to it. I have about 1500 files in there, so doing it by hand is going to suck :) I want it to go to the next page every 25 entries, and preferably strip the extension.

Anything already out there that could do this?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
It's Java/JavaScript-based and it's not exactly what you want, but it seems to be at least a good starting point for you.

Option 1, FREE!: Software (JAR file) with HTML and JavaScript example to control the applet.
This free applet opens a small pop-up on every start.
Price: 0 USD.

Option 2: Like Option 1, plus the JAVA source code and the right to edit it or to integrate it in your own application.
No pop-up!
Price: 10 USD.

Option 3: Like Option 2, plus full email support from GalaSoft for the integration.
No pop-up!
Price: 50 USD.
http://www.galasoft-lb.ch/myjava/Web...Demo/Demo.html

Quite frankly, I think that you could easily do this yourself with a copy of Perl for Dummies. Perl absolutely accels in situations like this and it's really not all that difficult to learn.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Highly unlikely. I can't program for shit :frowning:

That would be good if I was just trying to list directories, but it's not what I'm really going for :frowning:

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Not sure what you want. Does your web server automatically create a directory page with links to each of the files? You could grab the source from that and tweak it.

//Ken

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I wrote something like that in perl about 3 years ago for work. Out on the unix server someone could drop a word or pdf file into their designated directories. When someone went to a URL it would go to the directories, collect the file names and create links. I'll see if I still got it somewhere. It was very raw though and not polished at all so it probably needs some cleanup if its going to be used for anything important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks