Looking for a preamp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EarleD, Aug 30, 2002.

1. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I just purchased a Acurus A100X3 amp to go along with my A250. I have been thinking about going to a dedicated preamp and selling my 3802.

My budget is ideally under $1000. I have no problem buying used. I really want an adjustable xover that goes lower than 80hz. PL2 is a bonus but not necessary as is 6.1, I just want a good quality 5.1 preamp.

I have been looking at the ACT-3ABM, but the lack pf multichannel inputs, along with the noise issues some units have scares me.

The Outlaw 950 is a good canidate it they ever start shipping again.

Any others that I should be looking at?

TIA

Earle

2. DaveLenhert

DaveLenhert Stunt Coordinator

Earle-

Recently I purchased a new ACT-3ABM off of uBid for considerably less the $1000 (and uBid is an authorized dealer so you get the full 2 year warrenty). I had been using a 3801 and the ACT3 is considerably better. I have noticed a few things... (PLEASE note that I don't have a seperate amp yet, so i'm using the external inputs of the 3801...but I'm on the hunt!) There is quite a bit of noise eminating from the speakers but that is directly from the 3801, since i have to turn the volume up much higher then what i have to with the soley the 3801. I expect this problem to be corrected when I get a "real" amp. But the ACT-3ABM is a very capable pre/pro. Also, probably within the next few months, Klipsch/Mondial Designs is going to offer an upgrade for the ACT3 that will include the following upgrades:

1. Updated DSP module, including DSP chip, A/D convertors, and D/A convertors
    2. Updated decoding including Surround EX, Pro Logic II, DTS ES matrix and discrete, and DTS Neo:6
    3. Analog passthrough for two channel as well as multichannel analog inputs.
    4. Updated user interface and operational system, based on the new Stage One interface.

The estimated price for the upgrade is $900 or it can be traded in for a Stage One for around $2500 (I know this is more then you probably wanted to spend, but its FYI)

Anyways, you will probably wait the same amout of time hunting uBid or some local store that is trying to get rid of the ACT3 for the new StageOnes as you will wait for Outlaw to get around to shipping (again) the 950.

As for others, Rotel RSP-1066 but its retails for around $1500. So for your budget, might try and go used.

-Dave

3. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Used lexicons could be had with a little hunting.

-rob

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

If you catch a used Sherwood Newcastle AV-P9080 take a good look. It's a fantastic 5.1 preamp with a -really- clean analog section. 5.1 ins and stereo pass-through on all stereo inputs (when no DSP is used) and a high quality analog crossover make this a keeper. It sounds really amazing in my house with stereo CD and DVD-A high resolution. Highly recommended and you may be able to find one for a very low price. Clunky User Interface though.

5. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Lexicon would be a dream but you never know.

The Sherwood 9080 is a definate contender. Any chance of a online manual? Does it decode DTS ES?

How is the Sony 9000es preamp. IT has real flexible BM, which is a big plus.

Keep the ideas coming, as the new amp hasnt arrived yet im in mo real rush to buy.

Earle

6. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

you could get into a Lex DC-1 for around $1000

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

8. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

Philip

Does the Sherwood has a variable corssover is is it set at 80hz?

Thanks

Earle

9. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

EarlD,

I know you said 1000.00 but just to let you know I have a Lex DC-2 (Mint, loaded V.4) in the for sale section for 1590.00. I have had the mc-1 and now the dc-2 and the dc-2 is sonically EXACTLY the same as the mc-1, it just has a few less connections and is a BIG step up from the dc-1. I absolutely hate to let it go but Im buying a house and need to raise closing costs..

10. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

John

What are the differences between the DC-1 and DC-2. What makes it a big step up? Im not trying the be sarcastic, Im just not that familiar with the Lexicon stuff, I never thought I would own Lexicon. I understand that the dc-1 is only 5.1, but other than that???

TIA

Earle

11. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

The dc-2 is on the same chipset, dacs, power supply etc. as the mc-1. The dc-1 has the old chipset, dacs. Maybe a "lex expert" can jump in here. The only difference between the mc-1 and dc-2 is a few less connections/video switching (again calling on a lex expert). I have also owned a dc-1 a couple of years ago(fine unit) but not close sonically to the dc-2/mc-1.

12. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

I have the feeling that the DC-1 will blow the doors off a 3802 as a preamp. The rest of my equipment is mid-fi, Klipsch KG series speakers, so im not sure that the differences will be that noticable. Even though, If I can stretch the budget when the time comes and the DC-2 is around Ill definatly drop you a line

Earle

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

14. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

15. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

The elusive Outlaw 950 is supposed to start shipping again tomorrow. I suspect the wait list has dwindled down considerably as a lot of people have lost interest in it.

16. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer