Looking for a nice DVD changer for under $300, found two, Onyko 701 and Denon 1815.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Matt_Smi, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I am looking for a nice quality DVD changer to replace my three year old Sony player. The Sony still works fine, but I want to upgrade. My budget is around $300 and I found two very nice players for under this price. The Onkyo DV-CP701 which I can get for $240 from cruchfield, and the Denon DVM-1815 which I can get for $266 from etronics.com. Both players seem very nice and both have very similar specs (check out the comparison page from cruchfield below). I know that either player will be nice a better than what I have know, but I would like to get some opinions on these before I make a choice. I am also trying to decide which receiver to get, the Onkyo TX-SR601 for $395 or the Denon AVR-1804 for $350 (see the link to my receiver thread for details). I want to keep the Receiver and DVD player the same brand (I know it does not matter, but it is personal preference). So If I get the Denon receiver I will probably get the Denon DVD player and vise virsa with the Onkyo receiver and DVD player. I basically want to find out which I would be better off going with, although I am sure that both will be great. Also any other recommendations for a DVD changer at around $300 are welcome, but I feel that the Onkyo and Denon are the best quality that I can get for the price. Thanks.

Link to Onkyo/Denon comparison page

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nxSsh30...=23&IMAGE4.y=4

Link to my receiver thread

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=195185

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Not sure on the comparisson, but my gut has me leaning towards the denon w/ a superios deinterlacer and a known chroma-free mpeg decoder.

If you're interested, www.ecost.com has both units available factory refurbished for much less than crutchfield.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

4. MeghanA

MeghanA Extra

Check the thread a few posts down about "What's a good multi-disc changer for under $300," there's a bit of discussion going on there about which to get.
    Personally, I really like my Onkyo CP701. I picked it up in silver from JandR.com for $229 to go with my new Panasonic widescreen. The picture quality was a noticeable improvement over my old Toshiba, and I really like the features in it. Others may have more technical opinions on chipsets and stuff, I just like the player. I posted a little more detail regarding the features (which you might already know) over in the other thread.

5. Clay D. Major

I've really enjoyed my Onkyo 701; amazing picture, easy to use, works wonderfully in tandem with my Onkyo receiver...I'd recommend it any day.

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

It’s a close call, but after some research I think that the Denon is a better built unit, and has better internal components. The Denon has these internal components that the Onkyo does not. I know nothing of them, except that they are good. A Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer, Burr Brown audio DACs, a 12 bit video DAC (Onkyo has a 10 bit) and a 2MB buffer which I guess creates a seamless layer change. The Denon also has better S/N ratio’s than the Onkyo. And the fact that the Denon is a $350 player where as the Onkyo is a $270 player says something. So right now it seems that the Denon is my top choice, it seems like slightly higher quality player than the Onkyo. Would you guys agree? But I also just found a great price on the Onkyo, $170 from onecall.com or from Cambridge Soundworks. So its a hard call on which one to get. I have a feeling that Onkyo is pulling this DVD player and maybe coming out with a new one. Since every place that sells it has it on clearance.

7. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Matt, I am pretty sure the Yamaha I linked is the better player (has DCDi and burr-brown dacs as well). I can understand not wanting a demo though but with full 1 year warranty, it still is a good deal and player.

8. BrianDD

BrianDD Agent

I'd lean towards the Denon. ecost.com has it refurbished for under $170 right now. I just picked up the Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 from there for $265. Its a 5 disc changer with Faroudja DCDi and a seperate Faroudja video enhancer chip. It also plays DVD audio although this may not be important to you. Its giving me the best picture I've even seen from a dvd player.

9. Geordy

Geordy Stunt Coordinator

i have the denon and love it

the picture quality is so much better than my previous jvc dvd player