Looking for a new video card

Discussion in 'Computers' started by EricDeB, Feb 25, 2005.

1. EricDeB

EricDeB Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys I just built my new PC which is blazing fast but I'm still running my super old video card in it and I have every intention of purchasing a new one. I don't need it to do any capturing because I have a Hauppauge PVR350, which does the job. I'd like to be able to output MPEG4 video though, and that is pretty much my only requirement. I don't play that many computer games but I do a lot of video encoding and I like to output movies onto my tv. Right now I'm thinking either the Radeon 9700 pro or the 9800 pro, but I could be easily convinced to buy something else. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks
    Eric

2. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

9800 Pro is a pretty good buy for the desktop at it's price point.. It will accelerate DiVX, but not WMV or other formats, so it's a tradeoff.

If you need to accelerate WMV9 type formats, you might look to Nvidia's 6xxx series of cards.

3. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The 6600 would work out well for you. If you go with the BFG line you will get a lifetime warranty on the card.

4. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

How do you like the hauppauge card? Could you tell me all about it?

I just built a new machine as well.

p4 3.0
    1gig ram
    256 mb ati radeon 9600 pro - got it really cheap!

I love that card, and I have been playing some games with it too! Runs like a champ. Having all of that ram really helps out, on the mb and the card.