What's new

Looking for a new TV (1 Viewer)

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
My grandparents contacted me the other day because they are looking for a new TV set. I wanted to get opinions from you guys on the matter.

What they need: They get all their stations OTA, and they do not watch movies.

What their concerns are: Broadcast stations going to digital format in the years to come.

They currently have a 36" Toshiba that is on the fritz. Any adive, questions to ask the salesmen, etc would be helpful.

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
Hook 'em horns !!! I would stay with an analog TV (even one the same size as they have now). They won't be getting anything more by buying an HDTV if they watch OTA stations, as there really isn't that much HD programming available right now (besides, they would need a new antenna to receive OTA digital signals). By the time all broadcasts are in digital, there will be a cheap (hopefully) converter box available for analog sets, so any analog set they buy now will still work. I wouldn't spend a LOT of money on an analog set, but if they find an HDTV they like for about the same price (which is doubtful), then they should buy it, otherwise, stick with the analog set.
RichN

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Actually there is alot of HD programming available OTA...And there will be alot more this fall...The FCC just ordered all set 36" and over to have a digital tuner by 2004 and all sets 13 to 36 inch to have digital tuners by 2007...If you can hold off awhile, by early next year you will have a big selection of digital set with ATSC tuners in them.....It is looking more and more likely the the 2006 analog shut off will be met.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Rich,
Gig`Em Ags! I moved here just to work :)
Thanks for the info. I will pass this along to them and advise them to stay with analog, unless of course they simply want the HDTV which I doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks