What's new

Looking for a new tv for a new house (1 Viewer)

Andyblair

Auditioning
Hi

I am starting to look for a new tv. I should be closing on a house in early January and want to have one picked out and ready to ship by then. I am going to put the TV in a large dark fully finished basement, so light and space are not really issues for me. I'm thinking of a set in the 55-65 inch range. The stores I've looked at don't seem to give much space or a quality feed to the older CRT's so I haven't gotten a good feel for what they look like so far. I've been impressed by the Panasonic PT-60LC14 and a Sony set. I'm not looking to spend over $3000. Are the newer LCD & DLP's really better than CRT's picture wise? So far I can't tell but I only really looked this past week. Thanks,

Andy

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
One of my relatives just bought a 65" Mitsubishi for under $2000 at Good Guys and I think it came with a free DVD player also. They were also looking at DLP's, LCD's, but decided to get a CRT because of the price.

I haven't seen it yet, but I hear that their set is too big for the room. They put little thought into the size when getting a new TV.

january is a great time to buy a big screen because of the Super Bowl and end of the year sales.

StephenHa

Second Unit
the panasonic set should come down in price shortly, panasonic has discontinued all crt rear projection sets, may be able to get a real good deal. you can get a dlp set for that price but may not have all the features you want

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
The current Panasonic CRT RPTV's are solid. I have a 47" and I really like it. They have improved the build of the set from previous generations.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Andy, have you considered a front projector? I have mine in a finished room in basement, total light control. You have the ideal situation for it. I use mine for DVD's and HDTV, it is GREAT. There's nothing like watching HDTV and DVD's with a 106" diagonal screen, for the same price or less than a 65" CRT RPTV. We have a 55" Mitsubishi in family room we don't even use anymore for DVD's.

Andyblair

Auditioning
Can't say that I looked at front projectors. I might look into them, how much room do you need for them? What kind did you buy?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You say your room is in a large dark basement, so I'm assuming you have room. My room is in basement also, about 12'X17'. How big your room is depends on how big you want your screen. My screen is 16:9, 106" diagonal, and we sit back about 15'. How close you sit to screen depends on: Resolution of projector, and size of screen.
For a 480p projector you sit back about 2X screen width.
For a 720p projector you sit back about 1.5X screen width.
I have the Infocus X1 and I love it. I use it for DVD's and HDTV.
Projectorcentral.com is a great site to learn more about front projectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks