What's new

Looking for a new TV ~ $1500 (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I currently have a Sony 36FS17 - 36" Vega NTSC...

My stepdad expressed intrest in moving this TV upstairs in his living room and getting another one of these, minus PIP to replace it in the theater. But another TV in the same price range could replace it. What would you recommend with a budget of about $1500

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I'll be sitting about 10 feet from the screen.

Rear projection units make me nervous. I feel I'm at high risk of getting burn in. My brother has a tendency to fall asleep when watching a movie and then when its over it goes back to the main menu and will just sit there until morning. This has happened a few times on my Wega but obviously isn't an issue with this set.

When we bought the Wega we looked at some RPTVs but decided against them because of the burn in issue.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, you're brother is simply going to have to stop falling asleep. Doesn't the Panny have a timer? Even if it doesn't, tell your brother not to fall asleep when using the main theater display.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Most DVD players have a screen-saver function to prevent this as well. You could use it as an excuse to upgrade the DVD player, as well.

Unless there are other mitigating circumstances, I wouldn't recommend a direct view.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
If you don't want an RPTV, I'd just go with another big Wega. You don't leave yourself that many options if you want to go direct view at that price.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
Doesn't it kinda seem like a waste buying another NTSC TV? Sure I can get a Wega that does HD but I'd end up spending in upwards of $2000, where I can get the same features and a bigger screen in an RPTV for much less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks