What's new

Looking for a new show (Police drama or Scifi) (1 Viewer)

Katherine_K

Second Unit
So I've run out of shows that are out on DVD that I want to get, mostly I enjoy police dramas and science fiction.

In the catagoies here is what i have, and the ones with (*) I particularly liked. I've been a pretty intense collector and it's a little weird to not have anything left to watch besides the new releases that come out each month.

Police Dramas
The Closer
CSI (all flavors)
Homicide: Life on the Street
Law & Order (all flavors)*
MI-5*
NCIS
NYPD Blue
Profiler
The Shield

SciFi
Babylon 5*
Crusade
Battlestar Galactica (both versions)*
Earth 2
Farscape (it's what I'm buying now, I haven't watched any of it yet because I don't have volume 1.1 yet)
Firefly
The 4400*
Lone Gunmen*
Seaquest
Space Above and Beyond*
Stargate (all flavors)
Star Trek (all flavors)
V
X-Files*

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Since you've listed NYPD Blue, how about Hill Street Blues?

For Science Fiction, you should really consider the original Outer Limits series, seasons 1 and 2 (early 1960's). IMHO the best SF show ever telecast. The FX might be a bit weak by today's standards but the writing was almost always top notch.

- Walter.

John*D

Second Unit
Scifi:

The Dead Zone
Jeremiah
Odyssey 5
Earth: Final Conflict
Quantum Leap
Sliders
Tru Calling
The Sentinel (also Police Drama)

----

Also recommend Nowhere Man, not a police drama or SciFi, but really good!

Josh_LaF

Agent
Real Name
Josh
Ehh, not really Sci-Fi in the traditional sense, but to some extent I highly recommend "The Pretender." Also, "Threshold" and "Invasion" are coming out soon, both shows that were cancelled way to soon, "Threshold" being my favorite of the two.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
As far as police shows, I just picked up season 1 of "Boomtown" as a blind buy and have mostly been impressed with it. There were only a half dozen shows produced for season 2 before NBC cancelled it and those second season episodes have not yet been released.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
You might like Millennium, as you liked X-Files, and it is sort of a cross between sci-fi and police drama. It is pretty good, too.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'll second Dead Zone - excellent reworking of the King book - there are 4 seasons out

Nowhere Man - think Prisoner here

Under the police side, though while not a true pick:
Veronica Mars:Season 1, Kristen Bell is awesome as a high school Sherlock

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Try "Surface" when it comes out; it was SciFi and a kind of Steven Spielberg pastiche. Very engaging show!

Also, have you sort of passed on the Buffyverse? I was always doubtful of its entertainment value, but I eventually got into it because of dvd...and loved it!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Why, Katherine! You mean you've never seen The Twilight Zone? And there's always Dragnet in both color and B/W incarnations, and you could try some British police drama like the Prime Suspect shows starring the wonderful Helen Mirren. With the upcoming release of its final season, you can get Starsky & Hutch. There are many PD collections of One Step Beyond episodes, and all of The Time Tunnel is out- hope this helps!!

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I'd definitely recommend The Closer. Kyra Sedgwick's character, Brenda Leigh Johnson, is one of the best characters to come along in years.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for "Millennium", especially since you have "The X-Files" and "The Lone Gunmen" on your list. You should definitely check it out.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I haven't watched it on DVD, but if you like "Law & Order" you'd absolutely LOVE "Homicide: Life on the Streets."

I'll second the person who mentioned "Boomtown" -- although I fear Season 2 (the few eps that aired) will probably never be released.

Dick Wolf (who created "Law & Order") also created a pretty okay update of "Dragnet" starring Ed O'Neill (the first season is on DVD).

I think you'd probably also like "Without a Trace."

The following are my personal faves in my collection:
"The Dead Zone"
"Veronica Mars"
"Magnum P.I."
"NCIS"
"24"
"Alias"

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
In addition to Walter’s suggestion of Hill Street Blues, I’d add HBO’s The Wire. If you liked Homicide, you’ll love The Wire.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
If you like cop shows Miami Vice is a must see (the series not that pile of crap movie with Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx)

RogerH

Supporting Actor

To me it just looks bad. I mean from what I've seen it just looks like a standard cop movie. Where the tv show was about being different esp. in the look of it.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
The BBC show Life On Mars is sort of a cross between a police drama and Quantum Leap.

Series 1 is currently available in a nice R2 set -- commentaries on every episode and several making-of documentaries.

Presumably that set will be ported to R1 after the upcoming BBC America run. I think it premieres in late July.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.