Looking for a new remote...What's new now days?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Richard_T, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

I've been using my old Marantz 2000 MKII for a few years now and loved having it around. Except for it's weight I've found it to be reliable, sturdy as hell and it can learn just about anything I threw at it. But, after all this time, I think it's time to get something new and I'm wondering what's out there and what everyone else is using. I'm looking for something that has a good amount of memory, that's as easy to use as my old MK II and won't cost me an arm and a leg. What are you all using? Would you recommend it? Let's hear it.

2. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

I just currently still use my JVC Receiver remote for everything, but be sure to check out remote central for more information on all types of remotes.
    Good luck

3. Kevin_Spradley

Kevin_Spradley Stunt Coordinator

I second remote central. They have very in-depth reviews of most all remotes.

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Ditto remote central. I like the activity based Harmony remotes. Unless I am tinkering with the calibration on my system, all my other remotes stay in a drawer. My wife, 5 year old daughter and babysitter can all use the Harmony with a 2 second instruction session. No more telling them which remote to grab, what to do if they're watching tv or dvd, want the surround sound on or off etc. I especially recommend it for anyone who allows others to use their system.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

did anyone mention remotecentral.com yet?

i have a mx-500, which is generally considered a pdgr (pretty darn good remote). do a search here and see how many times it's been recommended. an outstanding feature is the ability to label the buttons - this is a huge bonus.

the harmony remotes are really great if you don't like programming remotes. i had mine up and running in about 10 minutes ... no kidding. i just didn't like the way it felt in my hands (too small).

on a budget, it's hard to beat the ofa urc-8811. it's very powerful, but you need to do some jp1 stuff to really make it shine. even out of the box, it's a steal at 40 bucks or so.

6. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Thanks for your feedback all. I've already looked at remote central and it's a great site but I like to hear from everyday users. I like to hear things in terms I can understand without all the technical jargon. I mean, I've heard so much about this "Pronto" remote but I've never liked touch screen remotes. Do they last? Are they as durable as my MK II is? Does it "beep" every time I touch the screen? (That drives me nuts) Is it really worth all the extra money? What about e-bay? Would anyone buy a remote from e-bay? Again, thanks for the replies. Keep em coming

7. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Richard,
    I have/had the Marantz 2000. It is a great remote. Heavy and eats batteries. I loved the design.
    Look at the Home Theater Master MX500 or MX650 or just the whole MX series. They are much lighter. They are built well, but are not tanks like the Marantz. The have more memory and a better screen. The macros are simpler.
    I promise you will love it. It fits so well in one hand. The lack of weight is startling at first almost inadequate, but it's not.
    The Harmony is great as well, but I feel he will appreciate the HTM remotes more.
    Trust me, I am not that biased I sell the HTM's, Harmony's, and the Philips's.

8. Charlie Campisi

I wouldn't buy the harmony from ebay. The prices are sometimes a bit cheaper, like maybe $10 or $15, but then you add shipping. If you go through Amazon, the shipping is free so the cost difference is negligible. For some reason, the prices on the harmonys at Amazon fluctuate almost daily, so keep checking and catch them on the right day. I had a problem with the backlight on my first harmony. The Harmony people were great and were going to replace it no questions asked after we tried reinstalling the firmware, etc, but I would have had to pay one way shipping to Canada, plus wait for it to ship. Instead, I notified Amazon and they sent me a replacement immediately. They even let me hold onto the original until I received the replacement in the mail. Amazon covered the return shipping on the defective remote. Very good experience and definitely worth the few extra bucks to deal with a reputable online retailer with its own warranty.

9. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

If you are going the Harmony route there is a 25% off rebate. PM me and I will make you an excellent deal on new products.

10. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I received a Harmony 676 this week that I won in the recent Logitech contest.

I'm quite pleased with the setup software and the comprehensive device support. And, barring that, their "Learn" feature is very well implemented.

I did have a dismaying glitch yesterday when the remote stopped controlling the power toggle on my TV. I still don't know if it was a software or an operator error, but the only way I could fix it was to significantly reconfigure the unit.

The keys on the 676 are a little small but the combination of an LCD screen and hard buttons makes the layout very flexible. In addition, the ability to upgrade the operating system means Logitech can add features and improve the OS on the fly.

I think they're definitely on the right track with their product concept (hardware & software) and execution.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

bob, that's how i won my remote as well...via logitech contest. they must be handing them out like candy.

re the power toggle .. did you verify your devices were in the correct state to match the remote? or was it some other problem?

12. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

So after a little searching I went to my local favorite retailer and he showed me the Marantz RC5400 which usually is sold for about $900.00 Canadian but I could get it for about half that price. It looked really good to me but I read some not so good stuff about it on the internet including Remote Central. I read alot about slow learning times and some really slow uploading and downloading times, though this would be fixed through some of the new update patches. Has anyone seen or heard about this remote that could give me a "hands on" review? I've given a link to a picture of it

http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/86.htm

13. Don*A

Don*A Agent

Look at Home Theater Master I have 3 of their remotes and they are great very durable easy to use and if you can get up to their commerical models you can program them on a computer and it is easy and great. Plus the better ones are RF and that is a must have in my eyes.

14. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I have the HTM MX-500 also. I was using the universal remote that came with my Onkyo for quite awhile and prior to that had a touchscreen Sony. Not a fan of touchscreen because you can't go by feel when it's dark. That's why I like the combination of the LCD display and the buttons. The ability to label is a big plus.

My friend was kind of laughing at me because of the size of it ("Are you compensating for something?") but I asked her how many remotes she and her husband have to juggle and that ended it right there. [​IMG]

15. Don*A

Don*A Agent

Thats another point the WAF with HTNs is normally great because you can program them for very easy use.

16. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Another Harmony fan here. I upgraded from the same Marantz RC2000 MKII that you own, Richard, to the Harmony SST-659 over a year ago. I "demoted" the Marantz to the bedroom, since it still works well. It was just too complicated for my wife to use with our main system and all the installed components. The Harmony is simple to program, can handle all the commands of my six components, and is easy enough for anyone to use without any instructions.

17. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom

It wasn't a state problem, Ted. Even in the device-specific control mode, the power toggle wouldn't work. I finally had to delete and reinstall devices to get the 676 to respond correctly.

I admit that it could have been operator error since the problem followed the addition of new devices to the 676. Even so, it was an odd behavior, which made me wonder if I hadn't found an eccentric glitch in the 676 system software.

I've been using the remote successfully since the "redo," however.

18. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

Has anyone heard or used the Harmony H688? I can get one for a real good deal right now but I haven't seen anyone mention that one yet. Is this an older remote?

19. Charlie Campisi

This is only by word of mouth and surfing this and the remotecentral boards, but the 688 was superseded by the 676 and 680. The main complaint about the 688 was the small, flat buttons were tough to use if you weren't looking at the remote.

20. Richard_T

Richard_T Second Unit

but as far as power, memory and userability, is it a good remote from your "word of mouth"? I mean, anyone could get used tp=o the small buttons after a while right?