What's new

Looking for a new receiver (1 Viewer)

Henry Hughes

Agent
My old receiver (Onkyo TX-NR818) died a while back. I’ve been through some rough times where I couldn’t afford to replace it. Now I can and I’ve been out the audio game for a while. I currently have an 7.1 surround system with axiom speakers and an SVS subwoofer. Hoping someone hear could point me in the direction of a new receiver. I’ve got about 600 to spend.
Thanks in advance.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
About what size room do you have? Also, what are the specific speakers from Axiom?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Those are decent speakers. I don't know that you'll find a $600.00 AVR that will do them justice but I would probably look at the Pioneer Elite VSXLX103 or maybe the Onkyo TX-RZ820 if you want to spend a bit more. Both are within your stated budget with the Onkyo at the high end.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just out of curiosity what is your max budget? Or is the $600 your max? Have you considered taking more time and saving up for something that will do a better job? What is the power handling specs on your Axiom's? Do you listen to movies on the loud side? It is never a good idea to under power a speaker as the amp clipping can cause more damage than over powering will. Also higher end receivers will give you better room correction, better quality amplifiers, more power, better video scaling, better dac's and more flexibility with preamp outs, more HDMI connections etc..... I would write down what you need in a receiver then under that include anything you can think of you might add in the future and then look at if that receiver will work for you now and give you room to grow. Do you want to save money now then buy another receiver in the near future or spend a little more now and save down the road? Also you may want to consider the Marantz or Denon as they will give you Auro 3D option that you can not get in that price point in other brands without spending alot more and I find Auro 3D to be a great addition if your really into sound!

Also look at:
Marantz
Denon
Yamaha

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
$600 seems like plenty for an AVR. I've owned Sony, Denon, JVC, and Yamaha (current) and none were more than that, and all have performed wonderfully, IMO. The only reason I've ever swapped them out is to upgrade for more current features.

You might watch for an open-box deal at an electronics store such as Best Buy. That's where I got my current Yamaha AVR a couple years back. You can sometimes get more bang for your buck. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I think my Yamaha AVR was listed around $800 and I got it for around $400-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks