Looking for a new receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by bryan A, Oct 8, 2004.

1. bryan A

bryan A Agent

I have been doing some research on a new receiver I have found a few that I am interested in, the pioneer 1014tx and the yamaha 5760. But the question that I have is that these both have some sort of calibration like the ypao and so does the pioneer, can I find a great receiver between $300-$500 because I already have a spl meter and it seems to me that these extra features would be a waste for me.

2. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Then go with the Yamaha 5740.

3. bryan A

bryan A Agent

what other feature will I be missing out on between the 5740 and the 5760

4. bryan A

bryan A Agent

Anthony B I was looking through the past dates regarding the yamaha 5740 I noticed you had bought one. What do you think of it?

5. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

IMO The Panny SA-XR50 will be far superior to these yammy receivers. I compared mine 50 to the Yammy HTR-5590 which I previously owned. I really liked the yammy but the XR50 had better detail, imaging, and clarity. Very close in power. The Yamaha was $800 at BB while i got the panny for $240 delivered.

6. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

The newer series yamaha's are better built and the sound quality is much better, I'm referring to the 57xx series. I used to own Onkyo's and Denon, Im a 60/40 ht/music guy and the Yammy offers a lot of bang for the buck.

7. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I was in BB a couple months ago (2) and compared both the 57XX and 55XX series as they were both still on display. I don't think there is any difference other than a few added features in the 57XX series and a slightly different face.
    i looked them over very closely although this is in a store and you certainly can't hear any of the nuances of sound in a store.

The Yammy's are good receivers. My point is to consider the Panny digital receivers especially compared to anything below the 5790.

8. bryan A

bryan A Agent

Thanks Dorian I will take a look into the panny lines now.