looking for a new receiver in the $500-$600 range

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisR, Mar 13, 2002.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to get a new receiver for my HT. Any recomendations?

2. Michael Yung

Michael Yung Stunt Coordinator

Outlaw 1050 for $499 + S/H. Great reviews.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Second that notion. For quality 6.1 at that price you can live without DPL2. Tape Monitor [​IMG] (unusual nowadays... Hey manufacturers, some of us like to use equalizers), nice remote. Wear a back brace...sucker is HEAVY.
    Or the Marantz 5200. Sweet sound.

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Look into the new Onkyo 600, being released right about now. I doubt you can beat it for features/price. And Onkyos have decent remotes and a nice intuitive interface.

5. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

6. Nestor_Ramos

Nestor_Ramos Stunt Coordinator

You can get the Sony DA3ES from J&R or Oade for that price. There's another ongoing thread about it -- the price was just reduced. That's the one I'd get. Great feature set.

7. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

It's all really a matter of opinion, but I feel that DPL2 is a worthwhile enough feature to skip the Outlaw 1050. If you are the type to watch all of your TV/Cable/Satellite on your home theater system, (and if it's integrated as the main TV of the house, I don't see why you would use crappy TV stereo sound when invested so much into the HT)then I think DPL2 is a valuable upgrade over Prologic in terms of surround effect and immersion. Obviously it's not close to discrete channels like DD 5.1/DTS but it's still a major jump over Pro Logic.

8. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I've found the Yamaha 1200 online for about $600. Buying it as soon as my tax refund arrives.

9. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

Personally, I have not found DPL 1 or 2 to be all that worthwhile. But it is worthwhile to have a dsp that decodes (? transfers? not sure of my diction here) stereo into surround for everyday use.
    If you have a subwoofer, I would reccommend the Outlaw. In my opinion, I can't think of another receiver that will match its overall quality of parts at that price range. 6.1 (albeit "proprietary"), gold-plated binding posts, and adjustable cross over. And the faceplate seems less "plastic" than a number of other mass produced receivers.
    So I would highly recommend the Outlaw, unless you simply want all of the features. At that price point you sorta have to choose between features or overall build. If you want build, go for the Outlaw.