What's new

Looking For a New Receiver in 2018... (1 Viewer)

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Probably time to ditch my Denon receiver and move to Atmos with my new home theater I'm putting in. My budget is probably around $2500 but I can go higher if need be. I've wired for a 9.2.4 system (and yes, I know that 99.9% of receivers out there don't power that without an amp), so I'm looking for a minimum of a powered 11 channel system that can run 7.2.4. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
With that budget, you can consider the flagship receivers from Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, etc. If you like your current Denon, their current flagship is the X6300. The X6400 should be out next year when you are looking to buy.

zzkazu

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
I'm in exactly the same boat as you my choices have come down to:

Denon AVR-6300H - $4299 (full 11.2 amplified channels) Total $4299
Denon AVR-4400H - $2795 (9.2) plus Emotiva Audio A-500 BasX 5-Channel Power Amplifier $785 – Total $3580

Would luv to get the
Anthem 1120 (full 11.2 amplified channels) But still best price is $4500

So it’s a bit out there in price.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Probably time to ditch my Denon receiver and move to Atmos with my new home theater I'm putting in. My budget is probably around $2500 but I can go higher if need be. I've wired for a 9.2.4 system (and yes, I know that 99.9% of receivers out there don't power that without an amp), so I'm looking for a minimum of a powered 11 channel system that can run 7.2.4. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I would suggest getting an amp too. My system is 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos setup. Originally, I was going to buy a receiver that can drive the whole setup, but after some thought and discussion with people that had 7.2.4 systems, I decided to buy an amp as I didn't want to over tax the receiver and have it run hot driving all of those speakers. I bought an Outlaw 7140 amp to drive the fronts, center and surround speakers for a total of seven channels. My Yamaha 3060 receiver drives the four Dolby Atmos speakers.

If you like Denon then you can buy a 6300 from Amazon for $1500.00 and buy a Outlaw 7140 amp for $1100.00. Or shop around for other amps that might be cheaper.

Last edited:

zzkazu

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
I have also been looking at the US purchase option.

Denon AVR-4300H 9.2 US$799 (step down required) with
Emotiva Audio A-500 BasX 5-Channel Power Amplifier $499 (supports 240V natively)

Provides a great value option.

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
So no one would suggest just getting an 11-channel receiver and being done with it? I've never worked with amps before. I am pretty sure my current Denon doesn't have amp outs on it, so I'd still be starting over I guess.....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So no one would suggest just getting an 11-channel receiver and being done with it? I've never worked with amps before. I am pretty sure my current Denon doesn't have amp outs on it, so I'd still be starting over I guess.....
You can just buy the Denon 6300 without adding an amp.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Most of the models you are considering should go on clearance starting in late Feb/early March.

zzkazu

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
The Denon X300 series is on clearance now in the US, progressively here in Oz.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Last I’d looked (last year) i didn’t find any 11-channel receivers. I was looking at the next best thing, a 9-channel AVR with an amp to power the remaining two channels. Ultimately, I decided PrePro and Amps.

You can’t go wrong with something like a flagship Denon. If you decide it’s underpowered driving 11 channels alone, then add an amp as desired and build up as you go.

zzkazu

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
The main differentiator is price and the limitation that comes with highly integrated circuity. Ie the more stuff you put in one box there is trade-offs; either power, interference products, heat etc..

But this might not be apparent in a home application as such.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Last I’d looked (last year) i didn’t find any 11-channel receivers. I was looking at the next best thing, a 9-channel AVR with an amp to power the remaining two channels. Ultimately, I decided PrePro and Amps.

You can’t go wrong with something like a flagship Denon. If you decide it’s underpowered driving 11 channels alone, then add an amp as desired and build up as you go.
The Denon 6300 can power 11 channels.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The Denon 6300 can power all channels.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Denon 6300 can power all channels.
But how capable is for driving all 11 simultaneously? This is old argument for amps: an N-channel receiver is far less powerful than N-channels of individual amps.

My guess is it will be sufficient for most people. But if not, you can easily add an amp to drive the front stage or the core 5 surround speakers.

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I don't necessarily need it to rattle the stuff off the walls 2 floors above my basement....I just want something that's going to power a 7.2.4 system effectively when I'm watching a movie. Preferrably I'd like one that could do 13 channels, but those don't exist without adding an amp, which I'd prefer to stay away from.

I'm probably opening a big can here, but is there anything on the horizon as far as surround sound formats or sound formats that would make anyone want to tell me to hold off until the 2018 models come out later next year? My Denon rocks now, it just doesn't have Atmos so I need a new one. Thanks!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah I don't necessarily need it to rattle the stuff off the walls 2 floors above my basement....I just want something that's going to power a 7.2.4 system effectively when I'm watching a movie. Preferrably I'd like one that could do 13 channels, but those don't exist without adding an amp, which I'd prefer to stay away from.

I'm probably opening a big can here, but is there anything on the horizon as far as surround sound formats or sound formats that would make anyone want to tell me to hold off until the 2018 models come out later next year? My Denon rocks now, it just doesn't have Atmos so I need a new one. Thanks!

The only major feature which may be out next year is HDMI version 2.1, which provides support for 8K video and enhanced audio return channel (eARC). However, every piece in the chain -- receiver, display and source component -- will have to support HDMI 2.1 before you can take advantage of it. Also, I doubt we will be seeing anything 8K for quite a few years, so once HDMI 2.1 is out, eARC is probably the only additional feature that will be used for several years.

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh, another cable I'll eventually have to run. Thanks for the update. Since I only purchase receivers every 8 years or so, maybe I wait a bit and see what the 2018 models have? I'm in no big hurry....my receiver just doesn't do Atmos, which I'm currently wiring my basement for. Thoughts? I know I know, if I wait on the next technology, I'll be waiting forever. I've gotta jump in at some point, but if I'm not in a hurry, what are the thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks