1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new progressive scan player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John_RO, May 25, 2005.

1. John_RO

John_RO Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Not a newbie but haven't posted in a few years. Currently, I am in the market for a single disc, progressive scan DVD player and am confused by the many options. I have always bought Panasonic, starting with the ol' A120 and progressed to a cv-52. No, I haven't ever got the dreaded H07 error, but I may be lucky.

My requirements are that it be under $250 and have progressive scan. Also, it needs to have WMA support because all my digital music is encoded in that format. So far, all I have found that I like is the Panasonic DVD-S77. It has the Faroudja chip and upconversion to 720p and 1080i. It also has a HDMI connection.

I guess my question is: How important is upconversion and HDMI output? The lower priced Panny's seem nice but only do 420p? or thereabouts in progressive scan mode. Otherwise, they seem like good players. For instance, the Panasonic DVD-S27. Is there anything i'm missing here?

Will I really notice a difference in picture quality with upconversion?

One more thing i've read. It appears that the low end players often use a lower quality spindle motor than the higer priced ones...which are prone to skipping and outright failure. It is my understanding that the Panasonic A120 used a direct drive motor (hasn't skipped or failed on me in the many years i've used it.) Do any of the new players use a direct drive spindle motor?

Sorry about the long ramble. I apparently have a lot to learn before I make my decision.

Thanks,

John

2. John_RO

John_RO Stunt Coordinator

Also now looking at the Denon 1710, 1910. C'mon guys, give some feedback!

3. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

If you don't mind using a DVI to HDMI adapter (no big deal to do) you might want to take a look at the Oppo OPDV971H.

http://www.oppodigital.com/

$199.95 It scored 94 on the Secrets of Home Theater shootout, which makes it their #2 DVD player of all time, just behind the Denon 5910, which scored a 96.

It meets all the things you've mentioned; WMA, faroudja upscaling, etc. There's a 100+ page thread on it at avs.