What's new

Looking for a new HT receiver(semi-noob needing help) (1 Viewer)

Ryan_Ket

Auditioning
I just picked up a sweet new 1080p Sony XRD and upconverting DVD player for Christmas, so Ive decided to upgrade my prehistoric sound system too. Im looking for a quality receiver in the 7-800 dollar range that will handle my HD Cable Box(HDMI), DVD player(HDMI), Future Blu-Ray(HDMI), XBOX 360(component), computer audio, and whatever other cool new stuff comes out in the future:D.

Video connectivity and options are almost as important as sound quality. HDMI-HDCP is not a must, but would be nice if affordable. I can always buy the HDMI switch.

My dad has a Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi and the thing is awesome. I love all the features it has and his sound system is like nothing Ive ever heard. Of course he also has two parasound amps driving B&W 803S's, HTM2D, DS8S's, SCMS's, and dual PB12 Ultras. I dont think my system will be quite that nice;). Ive been eyeing the 72TXV and the 54TX, the prices have been coming down a lot and Im hoping they come down more. The Denon 3805 looks like a great value right now. The 2709 thats coming out soon looks to be out of my price range at an MSRP of 1100. Maybe it will drive the 3806 down further and I will be able to afford it? Im not familiar with other brands, so I am going to need some insight on brands like HK, Yamaha, and ONKYO. I noticed that the power ratings on the HKs look low compared to other receivers in its class. What is the reason for this?

Thanks to all who help!

Jasen Chandler

Stunt Coordinator
Onkyo. Top notch sound and the HDMI switching is super, no signal difference going from source to Monitor than from Source->Reciever->Monitor.

If Marantz had HDMI switching that'd be my first choice. Pioneer is good if you do like your father and use poweramps.

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed. In that price range you can get an Onkyo 901 if you are lucky. Many of the Onkyos convert all signals to component (except for hdmi)
the 803 is what i ended up with after looking at HK and Denon. But you have to spend a few more dollars to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks