What's new

Looking for a new DVD player... (1 Viewer)

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Hey guys,
My first generation RCA player just bit the dust for the second time. It first died 2 years ago. My advice-never buy RCA.
I'm looking for a player under $700 with DTS, colorstream, and that's capable of downconverting to 4:3 with MINIMAL artifacts. A lot of people are talking about the Panasonic RP91, but since I'm watching on a TN55X81 (not a real HDTV) is there any sense in a progressive player or will I just be wasting my money? All help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Mark

JorgeN

Grip
I just recently had a Toshiba 4109x bite the proverbial dust two weeks ago. After MUCH homework, and buying and returning a lot of DVD players (thank God for Best Buy!), I finally settled on a Panasonic DVDCV51. I can't tell you how noticeable the difference is between the Toshiba and the Panasonic in terms of video and audio quality. The Panasonic is awesome!!!! I am upset that it doesn't have a Zoom feature nor does it display the time remaining on the discs, but those features aren't that important.
I don't know if you are going to want to go for the progressive scan RP91 that everyone is so totally blown away by, but if you want a regular player that has an ultra cool picture with no chroma bug, then I would suggest the Panasonic I have which is a carousel player, or its single dic cousin, the RV31K (black) or RV31S (silver.
I got my player as a birthday gift and it was purchased from J&R Music World for $229.99, and the RV31 goes for $189.99. I live in NY, so my parents picked it up in NYC.
I hope I have helped you! God knows I posted a couple of days ago a thread regarding my dvd player dying, and not one person seemed willing to provide some advice. UGH!!
Happy DVDing!!
Jorge

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Thanks for the help Jorge!
This is actually one of the players I was considering when I looked around at Future Shop yesterday. I've heard bad things about the Toshibas downconverting abilities, so maybe Panasonic is the way to go. Too bad there's no real way to get information on the lifespans of these machines.
Mark

I just replaced my Tosh 5109 with the Panny 91 and highly recommend the Panny. I do have an hdtv so use the progressive outputs but even if I didn't I've heard enough good things about it, plus it can do DVD-A and would be the perfect piece for when you get around to upgrading your tv etc.....
------------------

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Take a look at the Technics DVD-A10. You can get it online from J&R for $350. Original MSRP $1200. It is built like a TANK (amazing build quality), does DVD-A, has no chroma bug (thanks to Panasonic's MPEG chip), has good downconversion. Very highly recommended if you don't need progressive scan. Check out my review in the "reviews" section, and look up DVD-A10 on the 'net for other reviews and opinions.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks