Looking for a new 7.1 speaker satellite set under $1000

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by orestes, Mar 24, 2006.

1. orestes

orestes Second Unit

I am looking to replace my old speakers, an Energy Take 5.1 set, for a new 7.1 set (with a small sub--hmm, I may keep my current sub though). My room is about 25'x 12'. I can only spare about $1000 for a set. I need satellite speakers, for my room has no space to place big tower speakers.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I like the Energy speakers, but it seems that nobody locally sells them, and since I don't drive any more, it is hard for me to go far to find speakers. So I guess I am stuck buying them online.

Thanks.

Regards,
    orestes

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would suggest the SVS 5.1 setup (right at $1000) and then keep two of your current speakers for the rear surrounds. I have the SVS's for my front 3 and really like them.

3. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar Stunt Coordinator

Jeff
    Why not just buy two more take 1 speakers, so they all match. You are not going to find many speakers that sound better than what you currently have in that size department. I am sure there are better sounding speakers, but they would be much more than $1,000. I would get two more take 1 speakers and a SVS sub. The Energy 8" sub is a great sub, but most of the SVS subs are in a different class.

Jeff Aguilar

4. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Jeff

Thanks for you suggestions. I will take them into consideration. However, since my room size is small, I don't think I can place a bigger sub than the Energy ES-8 (16 x 10 x 10)- H x W x D.

I am trying to get the Energy Take speakers at ebay, but so far I have lost two bits. Currently I am bitting on yet another pair.

Question, does SVS have a sub within the dimesions of the Energy ES-8 sub?

I am afraid I could not find a SVS sub small enough to fit within the spot of my Energy ES-8. If I changed my sub, it would be the last thing to receive an upgrade into my sound system.

Anyway, thanks again for all comments.

Regards,
    orestes

5. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

HSU and Onix both have smaller subs. The HSU is an 8" (they do have larger models) and the Onix Rocket sub is a 10" in a small sealed enclosure.
    I dont know how they compare to your current sub but I've heard lots of good things about these.

6. orestes

orestes Second Unit

Jacob

Thanks for your post. I will look into those two also, but since I started to upgrade my equipment, I will leave the sub upgrade for later. I am still happy with the current sub, for I don't want to buy another which makes to much noise. I don't want to bother someone below me since I live in an apartment.

So far the HSU STF-1 seems to have a tolerable size of 19"(h)x11"(w)x16"(d). The Rocket UFW-10 seems to be smaller at about 14"(h)x13"(w)x14"(d), but it is a bit wider than I'd like it to be. Also the HSU cost less than the Rocket (about $300 less); thus, if I decide to buy, I will probably go with HSU since it is more tolerable on my wallet.

Regards,
    orestes

7. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff
    Since you are in an apartment, I think that I would stay with the Energy sub. It is a really good sub. I would just keep looking for the other two take 1 speakers.

You could also look into getting the Connesuir speakers from Energy, they are a big larger, but they do sound fantastic. You could use those up front and the Take's in the rear. Look into the C-1 speakers and see if they are too big for your space.

Jeff

8. Jeff Aguilar

Jeff
    I was just looking at Audiogon and noticed that they have a pair of C-1 speakers for $150! Looks like a good deal to me. C-1 on Audiogon

There is also a matching center channel if you are interested. CC-1 Center Channel

Check them out.

Jeff

9. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

The new Onix X-sub might be of more interest to you, along with their X-LS speakers. The sub measures: Size (H x D x W): 17 3/4" x 12 7/8" x 9"

The X-LS speakers are on the largish size for bookshelves.

They don't have a traditional center just yet, but you can get a 6.1 system for about $800 and then get the center later when it comes out (should all be under $1000):

http://www.av123.com/products_catego...akers&brand=55