Looking for a music-only sub....

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all, pretty much what the title states. Looking for a music-only sub for my living room. Ive currently got a PB10 (which is down in my new theater room for the time being). I plan on replacing the PB10 in the theateroom with with dual 12's of some sort, and instead of placing the PB10 back upstairs for music, i think id like to replace that as well. While the PB10 is a great sub, id like some more output and volume for my new music-only area.

Any recommendations? DIY is ok by me and budget would be $500 or so, give or take a little bit.

Thanks!
Jason

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Probably not going to find many musical subs that have more output than the PB-10 for $500. I'd say the Rocket ULW-10 might be the closest and it is $500, but I don't think it will give you more output; there is also the UFW-10 (which is $600). www.av123.com

Then there is the HSU STF-3, which is also $600.

The PB-10 in a smaller room will already increase your output.

Since DIY is a choice, I'd look at these drivers in their design: http://www.gr-research.com/drivers/sub_pr.shtm I have heard this sub built by a friend and it sounds great. I use their speakers in my main system as well and I love them (5x A/V-2s)

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting....maybe ill end up sticking with the PB10. My living room is around 13x22, and opens into the rest of the house, essentially.

Maybe ill end up selling the PB10 and spending a little more to get one of the 12" SVSs

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator
Also, since this is a music sub, should i be looking more towards sealed enclosures or towards ported ones?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sealed will generally give you what is considered by some to be more musical, or "tight". I use a 15" vented sub and I am quite pleased with the musical ability of it, but I did hear a sealed servo-amp sealed sub (with PEQ) that I was pretty impressed with for music. You would probably want to listen to some of each design and decide for yourself.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
The best sub for under 1K that is truly fast & musical is the Nola Thunderbolt. A used one will set you back $700-900 but it is one of the best on the market.

$500 for a music sub won't get you much.

brendy

Agent
The PB-10 would most likely be fine for music if it is set up right.Give it a try first before buying another sub.

mojomike

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
An excellent, clean-sounding sub for music with plenty of output in the 25hz and higher region is the new SB12 Plus. It is a little more than $500 however.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GabeBillings