Looking for a multi-channel amp for housewide stereo

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Lane, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

My father finally decided to do his housewide audio system correctly and use separate amplification for each channel instead of an impedence matching speaker selector distributing the power.

The question is, what are some good choices in amplification for such a system. Preferably I am looking for 6-8 channels of amplification, and not something too powerful (probably 30-40 watts per channel, or less, should do fine for his listening habits).

I have not seen many amplifiers that fit his needs (though I am probably looking in the wrong place). Price is not that big a deal, but cheaper is always better, as my father is more of an avid listener and not an all out audiophile so really high end gear would be overkill for him.

2. Vinny Petronio

Vinny Petronio Stunt Coordinator

Parasound has an amp that will do up to 12 speakers and I belive it is quite reasonable check out their web site to get all the paticulars on specs and cost it's called the zone master or Z12 list for $2000.00 I just went on the site and checked.

3. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Rotel RB-956AX was made some time ago.

It's a nice six channel at 40 watts and can be bridged to three channel at 100 watts.

The first few runs of these amps made had 30watts-90watts.

Should be able to find one for around $300 used.

B&K also has a nice multi-channel amp.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Thanks for the replies guys. That Rotel unit looks like a nice option if I can find one used. I have looked at the Parasound for myself, but I think for my dad, 12 channels of amplification may be a bit overkill.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

J

5. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I just hooked up a system using a 2 channel parasond HCA-1000 and a Russound switcher to do 9 pairs of speakers. I know you said you didn't want to use a switcher but this may be a cheaper alternative and it sounds great. Just make sure to use a good quality switcher if you do.

Niles also makes a multichannel amp for whole house audio.

6. Rich G

Rich G Stunt Coordinator

7. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

I have a 5 channel harman kardon PA5800 Im going to sell for 250.00. Im not sure how far Pedricktown NJ is from South Jersey,(where I live) but maybe a trip would be worth it if you cant find anything in youre price range.