Looking for a laptop

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tony-B, May 23, 2005.

1. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Hey everyone, I'm going to get a laptop to take along to college with me next year, but I'm not sure which one would be the best. I would like to get something that is top of the line, but won't break the bank. This one I saw in the Best Buy ad yesterday looks really intriguing: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1109938021195

The only fault I can see is that the video card isn't too great. However, I think it will probably be enough to run Doom 3 or Half Life 2 with the details and resolution turned down.

So, how does that one look? Do any of you have a better idea? Thanks!

2. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

I would suggest that if you are using this laptop for college to not worry about the graphic capabilities. I mean, how much playing time do you anticipate in having? [​IMG]

I would stay away from Gateway due to their failed business model (yes, in the past, but I'd still stick to a company that got it right in the first place - Dell).

Either Dell or Toshiba. Personally, I think you can be more for the dollar from a Toshiba.

Assuming this is truly a college machine, it probably only needs to run a word processor and spreadsheet applications, right? Nothing to intensive horsepower wise.

Toshiba model

Dell model

Nothing too fancy, but it would fit the pure college need, I would think.