What's new

Looking for a HD-ready T.V. between $1500-$2000 any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
I know everyone asks these questions but I am now in the market for a new TV to replace my 36" WEGA.I will be hooking it up to a progressive scan dvd, xbox, and DirecTivo. The 2 models I am currently looking at are the Sony 36XBR450 and Panasonic PT47WX49. If any one has a better suggestion let me know. I appreciate all of the opinions on this forum.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Are you limited to a certain size? Within the same build-quality and picture quality, bigger is better!

I have the 36XBR450 and I love it.

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
No I am not limited to anything but the price. That's why I am asking for help it's a lot of information to cover by myself. I figured there has to have been some others on this forum who have selected T.V.'s in this price range. With those suggestions I will narrow it down to my preferred set.

Thomas_P

Agent
I would take a look at the Sony 36hs500 that comes out some time this summer. I saw the 32 at Best Buy and it looked great. It has DVI/HDCP. Huge Plus. It will start out at about 2,000$. If you need to go bigger, I hear good things about the Pannasonnic.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm in the same situation...although I probably won't be buying until this fall. The Panny was on top of my list, but if I understood correctly, it locks into Full Mode with all progressive sources...which would force me into watching 4x3 TV shows on DVD stretched. If that is true, than it completely rules the TV out for me...

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Zooming isn't the same as scaling. zooming will loose quality in the picture more than scaling. If you have lot's of non-anamorphic discs, scaling is a must!

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
i'd recommend the RCA 38" 16:9 tube, the F38310. Circuit City can be talked down in the $1800 range for this puppy, which is a steal considering it has $500 built in value already because of its built in HDTV receiver. DVD's look great on it, and OTA HD reception blows me away on this tv. satellite looks a little soft, and i did have to buy a RP91 (a great dvd player) because the tv locks into full. But a 16:9 tube of this size is a GREAT deal at current prices (it's being closed out, RCA is making a smaller 16:9 tube next).

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I have some new thoughts after reading other posts. I only watch dvd's about 2hrs per week and the rest of the time I watch regular directv. I will be upgrading to hd-directv when I get the new tv. But, will a wide screen be the most optimal tv for my viewing preferences?

Thomas_P

Agent
Considering your viewing habits, I would recomend a 4:3 set. No matter how good stretch modes are, they aren't perfect. People are still fat, and I can't stand that. If you don't stretch, you get annoying black bars on the sides, and burn in potential. Even if you get a 4:3 set and burn the top and bottom, soon enough everything will be widescreen so you would never need those areas.

John_Bilbrey

Second Unit
The Toshiba 40 or 42" can be had for around $1500 if you can haggle a little....my grandpa got his at Electronic Express for that and the tax.

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Check New JVC 48" I dont know the model no. The picture quality is real nice, and also check samsungs too.

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas mentioned looking at a 4:3 set. I haven't even thought about a 4:3 RPTV if any one has some suggestions please offer them up.

Jeffrey R

Stunt Coordinator
For 4:3 sets, I have the Sony 43HT20, which can be had for around $1600. It is an excellent tv, with a great picture for cable, amazing for DVD's (the tv has the anamorphic squeeze function so anamorphic DVD's look as good on this tv as on widescreen tv's), and since I just got my HD cable box today, I will soon be able to tell how it looks with HD. There are 53" and 61" versions of this tv as well, and they are all highly regarded. Alot of people are adamant that 4:3 HDTV's don't make any sense, but I am happy that I can watch regular cable channels not stretched, but still watch DVD's and HD as they are intended. My 4:3 picture is 43", and my 16:9 picture is about 40", so I don't feel like I lose that much. With the 53" Sony (which is probably about $2000), you probably get around a 47" widescreen picture, which is a very nice size.

Nick L

Second Unit
The Mitsubishi 46809 can be had for $1999. It has a beautiful picture(I have one). My only issue with the panny is it doesn't have a protective screen on the front of the tv. You have to buy that separate.

Users who are viewing this thread