1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Good Top-Down Shooter.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James D S, Jun 20, 2001.

1. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Something in the 'Blazing Lasers' vein. Side-Scroller recommendations also welcome (i.e. R-Type), but a top-down is what I'm really looking for.
    I'm hoping to find a good coin-op or at least a console game with an arcade counterpart.
    Something mindless - just press play and start shooting.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

2. Michael St. Clair

I kept my TurboDuo and TurboExpress and still play those great 16-bit games!

3. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

You know where its at, Michael! [​IMG]
    Funny you mentioning TurboExpress, cause that's all I got left to play my TG16 games. My TG16 crapped out and it's all I have to play those oldie but goodie HueCards.
    What I'm hoping for is a similiar style top-down, akin to Blazing Lasers' mindless shoot-fest fun, that yields wicked intense colors and graphics and also give my sound system a workout.
    I know PS2 has an import Silpheed, but I'm sure there is another solution. I have just about every other system and I'm hoping to find my shooter-fix with one of them.
    (Until PS2 comes out with that killer-app, count me out. For now. [​IMG] )

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Do you have a platform that can play Bangai-O? Its a four-way side scroller from Treasure that kicks arse big time. I've got it for Dreamcast, but I think its out for at least N-64 as well.

5. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Thanks Iain. I've got both platforms so I'll check out the Dreamcast version. Hopefully I can rent it locally. If this gives me my fix, I'll be very grateful!

6. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

The N64 Bangai is an import only, but it's a great game and definitly worth checking out on Dreamcast. Gigawing 1 and 2 are both great side scrollers, but the best shooter I've sen in years - and quite possibly my favorite ever - has got o be Mars Matrix. This game is an absolute steal at 19.99. Buy it, you'll be glad you did.
    Drew

7. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

What systems do you have???
    Galactic Attack for the Saturn is awesome, and I've read that the Saturn import Radiant Silvergun is one of the greatest shooters ever made.
    Whatever you do, don't get Tiger Heli for the NES.
    I just picked up Gunbird 2 (it was only $10 at Best Buy) but haven't tried it yet.
    Oh! Space Megaforce for the SNES is sweet.

8. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Thanks Drew and Nathan. I'll have to check those out as well.

9. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

If memory serves, Radiant Silvergun fetches a pretty high price (particularly for a Saturn game) on ebay, so that might be a problem. Its by Treasure again, so you just know its going to be intense. The other scrolling shooter I've been playing a lot is the brilliant conversion of R-Type for the Gameboy Colour; apart from an upscaling of the ship size to make it more visible on the small screen its scarily spot-on, and plays just right.
    What I'm really looking forward in the genre to however is the much rumoured new version of Uridium for the Gameboy Advance; oh how I loved that game.
    ------------------
    "I'm a reasonable man, get off my case" - Thom Yorke

10. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

11. Jacob Rohrer

Jacob Rohrer Agent

Mars Matrix is the best vertical shooting game since Radiant Silvergun.
    Don't hesitate to pick it up.

12. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

You might want to consider picking up MAME (do a google search or check mame.dk). There you will find most of your favorite old school arcade games. Personal favorites inclue Raiden (I and II) and the 194x series. Give it a try.
    ------------------
    Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

13. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Thanks Jacob for recommending Mars Matrix. That looks to be the best (read: highest cost/fun ratio) game available for what I want.
    Any news on Treasure porting Silvergun or any of their other shooters to PS2 or one of the up-and-comers?

14. Jacob Rohrer

Jacob Rohrer Agent

No word on a Radiant Silvergun port unfortunately, and the chances of one ever happening are probably very unlikely.
    However, Treasure has a new vertical shooter coming to the Japanese Arcades very soon, entitled Project Ikuraga. Visually it is very similar to Radiant Silvergun, but it is not a true sequel per say.
    Mars Matrix is still probably your best bet right now. Unfortunately it is very ugly compared to today’s shooters, but it makes up for it by being super hectic, and extremely challenging. However it never gets overly frustrating due to a good shop mode, which in simple terms works like this: Whenever you play Mars Matrix your score is used to buy items in the games shop, these items include stuff like extra ships, extra continues, etc etc. Mars Matrix is pretty impossible without the purchase of these extra items, so there is a lot of replay value, in the fact that you are saving up money to buy the extra items. This also gives you a simple goal to work towards, as you are able to reach the later levels when you have purchased more of these options.
    There are a few alternatives, if Mars Matrix is not available. Silpheed as mentioned earlier, is available for the PS2, but besides pretty graphics, the game remains pretty ho hum.
    DC has a few other choices as well. Capcom has released Giga Wing 1,2, and Gunbird 2 all stateside for 19dollars. Gunbird 2 and Giga Wing 1 look a bit dated, are extremely short, and don’t offer a whole lot of replay value. Giga Wing 2 is gorgeous graphically, but suffers from the same pitfalls of the previous mentioned titles.
    If I can think of any other recent titles I will post an update.