What's new

Looking for a GOOD Sub with a Frequency Response Greater than 120htz (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Here is my problem...looking to upgrade my subwoofer (presently a Mirage BPS-100) to either an SVS or HSU or another yet to be researched brand (open to suggestions).

I have an SACD setup where I run bass management internally in my Sony 555ES player and run analog direct to my preamp. Problem is, word on the street is that the Sony does the internal crossover at 120htz before sending the signal out to the 5.1 setup. Seeing my present sub has a range of 29-150htz, this isn't a problem right now. However...

Seeing as the HSU VTF-3 has a frequency response of 18-90htz, and the SVS 25-31 has a frequency response of 25-100htz, I was wondering if people make subs anymore that have a frequency response of greater than 100htz? I was really looking forward to getting one of these fine subs, but if I'm going to have a 20-30htz gap between the Sub and the mains the way my system is configured, I'm going to have to look in other directions, other manufactuers. Can anyone recommend a different sub? I don't want to get an Outlaw Audio ICBM to rectify my situation, but I may have to if I don't have a choice.

Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While you will have a slight gap, a x-over is not an all or nothing deal. A x-over has a slope associated with it, whether active or passive, which will typically allow for about one octave above or below the x-over frequency, gradually trailing off.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks John...I guess it's not that big of a deal then. I shouldn't stress.

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Take a look at the SuperNova MKIV 10".
http://earthquakesound.com/mkiv10.htm
It is a remarkable sub and goes to 160hz. The built in x-over is an "Octave variable filter from 40 Hz to 160 Hz".
That way you don't have to worry about too much of a mid bass "suckout" unless your room is bad or set up wrong.
John Casler

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Evan,
Can't you use the Analog DSP mode in the Anthem AVM20 and use it's adjustable crossover? Have you compared this mode to Analog Direct?

I have an HSu TN1220 driven by a Parasound 1201 mono (so no 90Hz limitation) and with my Denon's 80Hz analog/dsp hybrid xover it works pretty well with my Sony C555es. I would expect your Anthem to be an improvement over the Denon.

The 120Hz crossover sounds pretty good with some mutichannel SACDs but I wouldn't use it for stereo CD & SACDs.
Gil

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
First, you don't have to worry about it at all.

Second, most of those specifications are arbitrary. I don't recall seeing any subwoofer where the crossover is limited to less than 100 Hz. I think the SVS and Hsu subs are rated to tight specifications, they will still produce enough output up to and beyond 120 Hz if you set the crossover accordingly. I'd be surprised to find the actual frequency response of the driver falling off at such a low frequency.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Evan:

I know you can email Tom directly with your concerns and he will be able to address them. In addition he will make honest recommendations on not only the brands that SV Subs sell but others too.

Parker

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Evan,
I am not sure whether you need a new sub, but in case it is important to have extension beyond 120Hz, ACI subs tend to go above that (usually rated +/-3db to 250Hz). Here are their current subs:
Titan II LE
The Force
Michael

ling_w

Second Unit
The Hsu subs are rated to 90hz only because its crossover freq goes up to 90hz. Once you defeat that, it would not have a premature rolloff.

If I were you, I wouldn't run the mains as small due to the fact that it will reroute bass below 120hz to the sub, which is too high to way to high, depending on your speaker type.

If you are not sure, you could call Dr. Hsu directly and ask him about sub integration at that freq. His number is available at his website.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, along the way I must have gotten some bad information.
I am not sure whether you need a new sub
Michael, maybe NEED was a poor choice of words. However, the Mirage doesn't hit very deep for HT, and if I can upgrade my sub to something as musical as the Mirage with increased impact for HT, I will look in that direction in the future.
I guess any sub will do now. Thanks for all the help guys.:emoji_thumbsup:

BryanZ

Screenwriter
An Outlaw ICBM may help you. Better yet, try and get confirmation of the Sony's crossover point and see if there is any way you can set the crossover to 80 - 100Hz.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
After doing extensive testing this morning, using the player's bass management and then disabling it and running direct, then switching the Anthem from analog direct to Analog-DSP, I can hear very little loss in resolution, if any at all.
This is exactly what was stated in a recent Anthem AVM20 review (SGHT or HT mag). With 24bit ADC at 96KHz and a well executed design, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference. I really wish I had the $$$ to afford the Anthem. It must be a great piece...I'm envious!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks