What's new

Looking for a good sonic match with the Odyssey Stratos DM. (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I got an Odyssey Audio Dual Stratos into my system about 6 weeks ago. What a fantastic amp. This thing sounds so sweet. I have it paired up with a pair of ACI 25th Anniversary Sapphires and an ACI Titan II sub. In the future, when I finally find the right house, I am going to go to at least a 5.1 setup, possibly a 7.1. Either way, I want to get a 5 channel amp to mate with this one because I want the possibility of future 7.1 upgrade even if it's not immediate. Odyssey doesn't make a 5 channel amp, and I don't want three boxes, so I am looking at other 5 channel amps. Amongst those I am considering are...

Classe CAV-180
Aragon 8008x5
Bryston 9B-ST
Sherbourn 5/1500

I was looking for other suggestions and opinions on which of these would match up the best with the Odyssey and ACI speakers, both of which are highly detailed and slightly on the warm side of neutral, but more neutral than warm. Thanks. Right now I am leaning towards the Aragon based on reputation only, but there is not one available on Audiogon at this moment.

Thanks again.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Evan,

Don't have direct experience with many amps, including the ones on your list, but if I recall from reputation, I would think the Aragon and Sherbourn would be a reasonable match. Of course, the speakers you choose for the other channels will have an important influence on amp selection (and I'm confused, because it sounds as if you don't have the add'l speakers yet, but you're in the market for the amp?). Additionally, the extent to which you need to match the other channels to your 2 mains, esp the surrounds, will depend on how you utilize them. IMO, matching is more important for multich music than HT (center channel aside, and config / placement issues can alter this quite a bit).

BTW, I'm wondering if you upgraded a Stereo Odyssey amp or did you start off with the DM. If you upgraded, how much difference does the DM sound relative to the Stereo Odyssey for 2ch music? The DM upgrade is on my list, but not near the top right now.

Thanks.

Doug

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Doug, I got the DM straight out...never have had any experience with the regular Stratos.

I already have the other speakers, but room requirements only allow a 2.1 setup right now. I have ACI Emeralds for surrounds and an ACI Essence center. If I go 7.1 I will get an additional set of the new Emerald on-wall's featured on ACI's website.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks