Looking for a good software mp3 player any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ash Williams, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Okay so I have been using Winamp since it's birth and I am just plain tired of it. I have a ton of skins, but those are getting old too. I have been using a player called Sonique lately,but it is too user unfreindly. I want something that is easy to use and will not be like The Borg and take your system over with spyware. Oh yeah, and it has to look good too! So what software player do you use, other than the two I mentioned, and why do you like it? Any help would be great.

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

You might not wanna hear it, but Winamp is hands down, the best player out there...

3. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

Yup, Winamp has the best playlist editor. Lower overhead compared to Sonique. Sounds great. If there was ever a monopoly, this would be it.

4. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

hey...Winamp is the way to go. Try using the plugin called aO. I have used this exlusively as my interface for about 3 years now...I like it MUCH better than the standard main winamp window. Just a thought...

Todd

5. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

Just to buck the trend here, I use a player called Ultraplayer. It works great, has most of the features of Winamp. It will even play videos and streaming broadcasts, and it supports skins.
    I first started using it because after I switched to win2k a year or so ago, Winamp would 'skip' while playing MP3's. I've never looked back since then.
    It's worth a look, anyway- give it a shot.
    Cheers,

6. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

I agree with you that Sonique is isn't very user friendly. You might want to check out Media Jukebox at: http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/index.html It isn't flashy at all, but in my opinion it has the best mp3 management around. Version 7.2 supports Winamp skins, though Version 8 currently in beta will support freeform skins via its own skinning engine. Also Winamp 3 is currently in beta and also supports freeform skinning (the best IMO), and should be comfortable with those who have used previous Winamp versions. There is also MusicMatch at: http://www.musicmatch.com which I also think is a good player. Hope this helps.

7. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Thanks for the links guys. I guess I should have mentioned that I tried Music Match before, actually it came pre-installed on my computer, and thought it was good but not really what I wanted. I really like Ultraplayer, nice design and interface, but it looks like updates are few and far between. Thats okay though as long as it works, I think I found a winner. Thanks again.

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Winamp 3? New cool skins available, freeform this time and not all square.

Still in beta though.