What's new

Looking for a good shop in VA, DC, MD area.. (1 Viewer)

Hyo

Auditioning
Anyone know of any good stores in VA, DC, MD area. Besides a Tweeter or Graffiti audio? Trying to get some speakers and want to hear as many as possible. Looking in the $500-$800 range.

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
There are several nice shops in the MD/DC/VA area. Cinema (something - they used to be Hi-Tech)in Annapolis on West St. Sound Works (extreme hi-end) just off Connecticut Ave. in Kensington. Audio Video Solutions in Laurel. Gramaphone in Townson is nice to visit also.

Hyo

Auditioning
Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it. Trying to listen to as many speakers as possible so I don't have buyer's remorse. I'll take a look and see what they have.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
There's also a Gramaphone store in Columbia, near Snowden Square and Dobbin Center (sort of midway between them as the crow flies.)
In general, I haven't been really impressed by them; they talk a good talk, but at least the video side is poorly set up, even though they claim to be ISF certified installers and do tune up the displays periodically. I haven't really paid much attention to their audio side; to be honest, the world of high-end audio is a little to esoteric for me... (and I'm happy with my setup right now...)
For a good laugh, there's a Bose store in the Annapolis mall... and last time I was there, one of the malls to the west of Washington, DC, (maybe Pentagon City?) had a Bang & Olfsen store. No listening rooms, of course, but they're there.
Leo Kerr

Rob Ritch

Agent
I am not impressed at all with Myer Emco. They sold my wifes uncle a system with installation a couple of months back. They sold him a Pioneer Elite 50" plasma :emoji_thumbsup: and a Bose lifestyle 5.1 system :thumbsdown:. They charged him ~$4000.00 for installation of the system. He came by to check my HT out shortly after his was installed and was very confused as to why my 53" Sony RPTV had a far better picture than his Elite, and why my Kenwood/Mirage audio system blew his Bose system away. I told him that I would go take a look at his system and see if I could help. As it turned out the ~$4000.00 that he was charged for installation only got him the equipment put in place and the cabling run. They made no picture adjustments to the Elite, and they did not even balance the speaker levels with the internal tones yet alone with an SPL. I had taken my Avia disk with me so I could set things up for him. When I asked where the remote was for the Elite so I could set it up he told me that Myer Emco told him that it did not come with a remote and that they sold him a $500.00 universal remote that they were supposed to program and that he had not received yet. Long story short, after I told him that the Elite did come with a remote, he demanded that they supply it and he cancelled the order for the remote. I have him set up with a Pronto remote, and since I have tweaked his system he is VERY happy with the Elite, but still thinks that my Kenwood/Mirage system sounds better than the Bose :D

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Try Audio Buys in Fairfax City. They used to also have a store in Manassas too.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks