What's new

Looking for a good reviever (1 Viewer)

Atmun

Auditioning
Ok, i am tired of rejecting recievers. I was about to buy the Kenwood 7080, it suprised me that no to many people have writen reviews about this one, it seems to be an amazing reciever. I found 2 that said the reciever burned out on them within 6 months. Now I dont know what to get. I am looking for one that is 6.1/7.1 and has THX for around 400 - 600 bucks (the less the better)

thanks a bunch.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why is THX of importance? There are plenty of receivers in that price range that are good that are not THX select. What features are you looking for and what speakers will you be using in what size room?

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Atmun, lemme tell ya something that I'm lucky that I didn't get sucked into finding out the hard way.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Opinions on THX vary, but most generally agree:

making a buying decision based purely on the THX logo is questionable, if not somewhat foolhardy. There are plenty of excellent non-THX products out there which will perform to, or exceed, THX "specs". At lower price points, the costs associated with getting THX cert will probably result in a (slightly) lower quality component.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
THX cert will not give you a lower quality unit, though it may raise the price of the unit slightly, making it less competetive at it's price point.

My receiver is THX select, but I never use the processing, because I haven't found it to sound any better.

Jason GT

Second Unit
John,

Not to get into a flamewar, but regarding slightly lower quality (notice my use of slightly).

$ 500 receiver, with THX. Must have the THX processing software plus certification and licensing fees. Say that's $ 20. I have no idea of the actual cost.

$ 500 receiver, no THX. It has an extra $ 20 it can put into a nicer DAC, better speaker binding posts or whatever. Or, maybe the manufacturer simply pockets it :).

I don't have anything against THX (in fact I own an old THX amp) but I feel that making THX cert a necessity of an HT purchase (especially one which is heavily budget driven) is a potential mistake.

Venkat_r

Auditioning
Jason

A THX certification will also help boost sales. There are too many people that rely on sales persons and certifications ot make a purchase. hence its worth the extra dollars for manufacturers to get an equipment certified.
IMO, most people will feel comfortable buying a THX certified equipment vs a non-THX one that may or may not have better components.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Some people may just wantthe THX post processing I suppose as well....

I do use it sometimes, with good results.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
THX Certification was not the final factor in my decision for a new receiver. I chose the Yamaha RX-V2400 because I liked the product.

Atmun

Auditioning
Well, this isnt the driving factor of my purchase, but i do own alot of george lucas movies, and also the indiana jones movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks