Looking for a good DVD player...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Kline, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I need to get a good DVD player. I started out with one of the original Sony players, now I'm using my Xbox. I'd like to get a newer, modern DVD player. I don't have an HDTV yet, but one is on my list and I expect to have one within the next couple of months. So, of course I want something that's progressive scan and all that. I know they're not as expensive as they used to be and most PS DVD players seem to be around or under $100. What I want ultimately though is something that will take advantage of my soon-to-have HDTV to the fullest potential possible [​IMG]

Are DVD recorders worth looking into or are they still kinda too new? I saw a Panasonic (I think) recoder with Tivo built in, Would I be better off with something like that, or am I better off getting Tivo in my satelite receiver?

I almost bought this Sony player but then I read a review on Cnet that the progressive scan it does isn't as good as other players... this is basically my price rage though at $120, I definately want to stay under $150 ... I'd go higher for a recorder if it's really worth it though

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

For around $100 your best bargain is the JVC model XV-N40BK or XV-N50BK they have a $20 rebate offer now. JVCs have the fastest loading and have the most features. You would have to spend almost $300 to get anything superior.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

For what it's worth, Consumer Reports Rated:

1. JVC XV-N44SL (XV-N40BK)
    2. JVC XV-N55SL (XV-N50BK)
    3. Panasonic DVD-S55
    4. Pioneer DV-260
    5. Pioneer DV-363

The JVC's 50BK & 55SL add WMA Audio Files Playback.

All but five progressive-scan players improved upon the usual excellent picture quality when used with HDTVs. Those that din't show improvement:

MITSUBISHI DD-6040
    SONY DVP-Ns725P
    SONY DVP-NC665P (5 Disc)
    SAMSUNG DVD-P230
    SAMSUNG DVD-C631P (5 Disc)

4. Tim Kline

I was never really into JVC, but if they're the best in the price range then I'll give em a serious look. So, is consumer reports saying the 44SL is better than the 55SL, the panasonic and the 2 pioneers, or are they all just the top 5 best you can get? I don't really need the WMA playblack but I guess it's a nice feature either way, is that the only real difference between the 44 & 55?

5. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

I will add that the JVCs do not exhibit CUE. The Panny does, and I don't know about the Pioneers. Also, while the build quality of the JVCs isn't exactly awe inspiring, the performance appears to be quite nice for this price range.

6. Tim Kline

What does CUE mean? And by build quality, do you mean it can easily wear out from overuse and/or time? Even though they're not as expensive as they used to be, I want to get a player that's gonna last [​IMG]

7. Heath_E

CUE is chroma upsampling error, otherwise referred to as "chroma bug". In short, something that you would rather not have, given a choice. Considering that this problem was first discovered several years ago, it is absolutely amazing to me that players are still released that have the problem. It is particularly interesting to note that Panasonic players were once specifically sought out because they were CUE free, and now their new players have it. You can read a good article about CUE here.

When I say that the build quality isn't the greatest, I am particularly speaking of the dvd tray on the XV-N40BK being a little flimsy. Basically I would suggest that anyone with this player always use the button to open and close the tray instead of pushing on the tray to close it. Of course, I always do this anyway regardless of what model it is. It may just mean a little more to the long term reliability in this case. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it, especially considering the features and performance of the XV-N40BK, and the fact that it can be had for about $65 after rebate, shipping included. Have a look here.

8. Tim Kline

cool, thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna with with JVC then [​IMG] What what I be better off with the 40 or the 50? The 50 is like $20 or so more, does it have anything worthwhile to spend the extra cash one, or is it just the WMA thing?

9. Don_Berg

The XV-N50BK adds WMA audio support and a lower profile (slimmer height) cabinet plus a front panel display with more information on it - you decide if those extras are worth $20 more. Picture quality and other features are the same as the XV-N40BK.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'm pretty sure that the 50 also adds a Universal Remote Control where the 40 only controls the DVD Player. You can check the specs. out at www.jvc.com & you might also want to download the owners manuals for each of them from JVC's website to get a better understanding of both of them. For pictures of the back panel, remote control & etc www.crutchfield.com has the 40 on their website.

11. Tim Kline

Thanks for the info.

I'm definately going with JVC. But, what about the XV-NA70BK? It's a bit priceyer, but I'm assuming it's the same as the 50, only this can do DVD Audio? But, it's like $50 more .... is it worth it though? Or should I just stick with the 50?

12. Heath_E

One other thing about the 50, it emits a glowing blue light around the tray that some people have found distracting. Might be a consideration if it is close to your display and in view while watching movies.

13. Don_Berg

The XV-N50BK has a dimmer control button - you can reduce or even turn off the glowing blue light with it. Yes it adds a universal (but not learning) remote control - I would recommend a better learning remote for all components anyway, so that isn't important, I only use the original remotes once to learn onto the universal remote.

14. Tim Kline

Thanks to the suggestions here I picked up the JVC XV-N50BK at Best Buy today for $99. It was supposed to be $119 with a $20 rebate but I guess they ditched the rebate and just made it $20 cheaper. It was an amazing shopping experience too because for the first time ever, EVERY checkout line had a cashier and I didn't have to wait in line for 20 minutes [​IMG] I took it home and popped in The Two Towers and right away I can see a vast difference in the picture over my Xbox (both were using component connection) and I'm just using a 27" panasonic TV. I always thought the Xbox looked good enough for me, never expected it too be so much better with a stand-alone player, especially one that's $99 [​IMG] Maybe it's just that everything I was watching on the Xbox had that chroma bug .....

So anyway, if anyone else is looking for a good and cheap player, get yourself a JVC XV-N50BK, you won't regret it [​IMG]

15. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Which JVC players were having the problem with stuttering during camera pans?

TimG

16. Tim Kline

I didn't notice any problems at all with the player I just got... I watched 2 towers, finding nemo and old school all back to back and everything was flawless

17. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

About the rebate, I bought a JVC 44SL for shits and giggles since I can get for $60 shipped after rebate but guess what, 13 weeks have gone by and still no rebate check.